#15 health status

Discussions, photos, & videos regarding the history and preservation of the C&TS #15

#15 health status

Unread postby John W Misiaszek » Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm

I've been watching #15 a few times this year and I've got a few questions. First , I should say that I operated a GE 90 ton center cab at Shideler Grain in Indiana for 9 years. The loco at the grain elevator would be a big brother to #15. My guess is that #15 has 2 engines, one under each hood.
The last time I saw #15 operating in the yard, she seemed to be running on only one engine. At the same time it sounded that one cylinder on that engine wasn't firing. The cylinder thing appeared to never clear up. Was I dreaming that day? Is she really sick?
John W Misiaszek
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: #15 health status

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Thu May 28, 2015 6:36 pm

John W Misiaszek wrote:I've been watching #15 a few times this year and I've got a few questions. First , I should say that I operated a GE 90 ton center cab at Shideler Grain in Indiana for 9 years. The loco at the grain elevator would be a big brother to #15. My guess is that #15 has 2 engines, one under each hood.
The last time I saw #15 operating in the yard, she seemed to be running on only one engine. At the same time it sounded that one cylinder on that engine wasn't firing. The cylinder thing appeared to never clear up. Was I dreaming that day? Is she really sick?

John I can't fully answer your question, however the last time #15 was out a week or so ago, to me I commented on how smooth she sounded. Over the winter it was quite rough sounding. Take a look here - viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2637 - I believe this is the last day I saw #15 out. To my untrained ear she sounds smoother than all winter -- but as I've said before I know little about diesel.
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Re: #15 health status

Unread postby Tom Casper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm

They used 15 to pull #315 off the trailer and it's tender and it creeped really well for that.

Tom C.
Attachments
21-#15&315.jpg
22-#15 & gon.jpg
Later:
tom at srclry dot com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Tom Casper
Conductor
Conductor

Return to C&TS #15