Work Session E, Tuesday July 30, 2013 #1

Discussion Pertaining to Work Session E - 2013

Work Session E, Tuesday July 30, 2013 #1

Unread postby Joe Kanocz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Here are some photos from Cumbres Pass. The photos are courtesy of John Cole and his team. Working with John Cole this session are Tom Hindeman, Herbert Knosel and Terry Rahne.

Before climbing on top of the snow shed, full protective gear is used.
DSC00240.JPG

Once on top the snow shed the gear is attached for safety.
DSC00244.JPG

Here's the head beam that needs to be replaced.
DSC00247.JPG

The extent of the damage from moisture
DSC00250.JPG

Here's how the headers are raised and lowered into place. It's an ingenious system using automotive winches. Two are used. A battery is the source of power. These header beams are quite heavy. The winches have no problem safely raising or lowering beams. John Cole made the stands and designed this system.
DSC00259.JPG
Joe Kanocz

Re: Work Session E, Tuesday July 30, 2013 #1

Unread postby John Cole » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 am

Hows this for an incredible working location? Lots of beautiful scenery to enjoy while we were working for sure. I would like to add the other important team member is Ron Horejsi who is in the brown T-shirt in the first photo. Ron has worked on our snowshed crew for years and is a great help. Herb can play the accordion and gave the Friends a mini concert at the work session dinner on Wednesday night.

The tape measure is showing 10" on a 12" header, and I could stick my fingers through in one spot. Good thing this last winter was mild.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Wayne Hoskin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Is that some re ballasting going on in the background?

Wayne
Wayne Hoskin
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby John Cole » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Yep, Marvin and the guys were out there working 4 of the 5 days we were on the hill. They would fill up 3 hopper cars several times a day working east and west of Cumbres Pass. Looks like the EBT hopper cars that John West got for the railroad are really earning their keep.

The tamper you see in the photo was getting some work done on it, and I never saw it move.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Work Session E (July 29 - August 2)