WORK SESSION D - Friday, June 28, 2013 - Part I

Discussion Pertaining to Work Session D - 2013

WORK SESSION D - Friday, June 28, 2013 - Part I

Unread postby Ted Smith » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Work Session "D" is now completed! The Friends will take a one-month break, and return in strong numbers to tackle more planned activities - a mix of continuing projects and new tasks. The progress this work session has been impressive, and the amount of work accomplished by our volunteers during the first three weeks of Work Session 2013 is a lengthy list - ranging from completion of the roof for the car shelter facility in Antonito to the rebuild, repair and restoration of rolling stock and historic structures at Cumbres.

Today, the Friends installed a plaque on the north side of the Chama Depot, commemorating the railroad's designation as an NHL. It is most appropriate that the Friends were asked to do this, as this achievement would not have been possible without them. Friends' long-time member and Denver architect Keith Hayes coordinated the nomination effort which took more than three years and an unbelievable amount of paperwork. A National Historic Landmark is a site that is officially recognized by the United States government for its national-level historical significance. Out of more than 85,000 places on the National Register of Historic Places only about 2,500 are NHLs. The C&TSRR well deserves this distinction!
The attachment 003.JPG is no longer available
003.JPG
Site Leader John Engs and Jim Hickman work to install the National Historic Landmark plaque on the Chama Depot. Another plaque will be displayed at the Antonito Depot.
005.JPG
John Engs marks where the holes are to be drilled on the north outside wall of the Chama Depot to secure the plaque. Jim Hickman stands ready with drill in hand as Marshall Smith waits to assist. Holes were drilled through the wall and fastened on the inside of the depot.
007.JPG
The plaque up close! NHL status is a significant achievement, and Friends' long-time member Keith Hayes put in long hours to make this happen!
008.JPG
Evan Martinez and Todd Frazier mix the two-part paint primer for RPO 54!
021.JPG
Team Leader Don Bayer paints RPO 54 with an airless spray gun; please note that the color you see is a primer. The final "finish coat" will be Pullman green!
024.JPG
One side of RPO 54 is fully primed!
025.JPG
One end of the car before it was primed....
029.JPG
...and the same end after it was primed! A coat of paint does wonders.
Attachments
D5.JPG
High-side Gon 1232 was going to be a simple repair, but two weeks wasn't long enough! According to Team Leader Jim Davenport, the side boards, side sill, brakeman's platform, one center sill and grab irons are complete. Left for a subsequent session is the fastening of the other center sill, floor board installation, end sill touch-up and painting.
Ted Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: WORK SESSION D - Friday, June 28, 2013 - Part I

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:01 am

Looking at the end of the RPO car it appears that they used rails to reinforce the end of the car. Is that the material being used?
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Tom Casper » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Interesting question there John. I had to do a doubled look to see that they maybe rail. Lets hope an answer is forth coming.

Tom C.
Later:
tom at srclry dot com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Tom Casper
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Tom, I called Don Bayer (RPO car team leader) and he said that the railroads were required by the post office to install rails on the ends to prevent the cars from telescoping into one another in the event of a crash. The 53, (now a MOW cook car we are restoring in the Antonito CRF) is a twin to this car but was already retired by the 1920's upgrade program, so that is why the 054 has the rails on the ends, and the 053 car does not.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Chris James » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:38 am

OH man, the RPO car looks GREAT! I worked on it Session D last year with Don, et al. I planned to be back this Session D but I ended up needed back surgery this summer and working' on the railroad just didn't seem like a good idea. I WILL be back next year!
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Work Session D (June 24-28)