Chama Roundhouse & Visitor Center

Discussions regarding the reconstruction of the Chama Roundhouse

Chama Roundhouse & Visitor Center

Unread postby Ted Smith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

Jason, thanks for setting up this sub-section on the Forum! For the next few months, during the architecture-engineering phase of this exciting project, interested folks will be able to express views, ask questons, and keep in touch with the latest information. Jason's also assisted the project team in setting up a special web page which is for firms and consultants interested in proposing on the Roundhouse & Visitor Center project but which can be accessed by anyone who is interested in this topic:

http://rfp.coloradonewmexicosteamtrain.org/

We'll be posting current information on it hopefully in a timely manner!

Linda Smith
Ted Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: Chama Roundhouse & Visitor Center

Unread postby Jason Rose » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:19 am

No problem. Happy to help.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby John Sporseen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 pm

I was on the Sumpter Valley RR three years ago and there was a turntable in the McEwen years that they had acquired. It apparently from Alamosa. I am curious I'd it still there and wonder what it's length is. If I'm not mistaken, the SV no longer plans on using it and it might be for sale.
John Sporseen
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby John Sporseen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Sorry about the misspellings and poor grammar in the previous post but my intent should be obvious.
John Sporseen
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Rich Murray » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 am

John Sporseen wrote:Sorry about the misspellings and poor grammar in the previous post but my intent should be obvious.

John, I'm sure I speak for most of us here, the message is much more important than whether or not you have spell check turned on. Besides, with the world using texting and twitter proper spelling doesn't seem to be required anymore.
Rich
(E pluribus unum)
Rich Murray

Unread postby Allan Kirkpatrick » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Does anybody have more info on that turntable? It seems to me that there was another article about the availability of a turntable that was appropriate for our use. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Allan
Allan Kirkpatrick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Tim Tennant » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 pm

The turntable at SV was sold to Don Shank in Monte Vista. The Commission Office has had some conversations with Mr. Shank about purchase of the turntable for the proposed Chama Roundhouse. That is really all I know at this point in time.
Tim Tennant
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Clayton Sandt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I live in Denver and have visited the Colorado Railroad Museum a number of times and enjoy going into the roundhouse and observing the work going on in there. The idea of combining a visitor center with the roundhouse to include a viewing gallery of the roundhouse interior seems to be appealing to me. Since the roundhouse will be expanded if not completely rebuilt, I would guess that including a viewing gallery for visitors would be relatively easy to include in the plans. I guess that this is not a new idea and probably been discussed already but I would vote to include this feature.
Clayton Sandt
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Kevin Murray » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Does NM have historic grants like Colorado does? This would be a great project for the State to have involvement.
Kevin Murray
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Dick Cowles » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:09 am

Kevin, for a whole host of reasons the concept of combining a visitor center, museum, roundhouse, car repair facility, and locomotive repair and machine shop on the current site of the Chama Shop proved to be impractical. That said, the C&TSR Commission is pursuing acquiring property along Terrace Ave. for a visitor center and offices that would be funded by a grant from the NM Dept. of Transportation for $318,750, plus a required match of $106,250 from Commission funds.
Dick Cowles
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to Roundhouse & Vistor Center