483 cosmetic restoration

Discussion Pertaining to Work Session E - 2012

483 cosmetic restoration

Unread postby John Cole » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:48 am

This isn't etched in stone yet , but it appears that I will be the team leader getting the 483 cleaned up and painted for display behind the OM Rotary to show visitors what a snowplow train would look like. It will involve much hard and dirty work including needlegunning and wire-wheeling the boiler shell for protective paint. We are going to do our best to arrest decay on that engine for hopeful return to operation later down the road. Anyone interested?
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Re: 483 cosmetic restoration

Unread postby Dick Cowles » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

John --
Will needle-gunning and wire-wheeling really be necessary? After asbestos was removed the boilers for 483 and 492 were prepared and coated with rust-preventive paint, but that was 12 years ago. Also, any thought being giving to having new jacketing fabricated with wood spacers in place of insulation? Check with Elmer; I believe he had contact at LANL that had equipment for forming/bending the sheets.
Dick Cowles
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby John Cole » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 am

I hope not, but as you mentioned on the phone it has been over 10 years since it was painted, so some touch up work will probably be necessary. I would rather be prepared for the worst so my crew can move fast on a big job. The cab will probably need quite a bit of attention as well.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Russ Wood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Please excuse my ignorance of the correct procedures but how are the work sessions conducted? Is each for a set period of time, I.E. the first two weeks of June? I see nmany sessions listed but no dates or list of projects, this is the first one so that is why I'm asking. Thanks. Russ
Russ Wood
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby John Cole » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am

Hi Russ, the R-7 form which lists the projects and what work session the project is being worked on hasn't been put out yet. You will see it officially the first of the year. I can tell you that session (A) runs from 5/21-5/25, (B) 5/28-6/1, (C) 6/18-6/22, (D) 6/25-6/29, (E) 8/6-8/10, (F) 8/13-8/17. You will never work with any more fun and dedicated people all while doing important work to help save some our narrow gauge heratige. We work together all day and many of us spend our evenings hanging out together. Lots of fun!
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Russ Wood » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks John, I have read some of the reports and I am very impressed with how much work gets done each session. I also love the idea of anniversary pins for your repeat volunteers, very cool. Our group also has work weeks (four) each year and we get quite a bit done. We average about 30-40 volunteers each work week. Our plant is very similar in that we have 36 actual miles of track, 60 pieces of prototype rail equipment including a rotary snow plow, and 2700 acres to maintain. The only difference our track is really narrow gauge because the rails are only 7 1/2 inches apart! :smilie6: Our schedule for 2012 has me tied up until after July, so if I can make one of the sessions it will be after that. Thanks again for the info on how the sessions work. I love this new forum and the tremendous amount of information that already has been posted, the future is looking good! Russ

www.trainmountain.org
Chiloquin Oregon
Guinness Book of World Records, world's biggest outdoor hobby railroad.
Russ Wood
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to Work Session E (August 6-10)