web cam sound

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

web cam sound

Unread postby Jim Millhouse » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:19 am

Hi all: It has been at least 2 years with no sound on the cams. I miss listening to the trains departing Chama. Have the Friends board ever considered hiring an outside firm to remedy the sound problem. From what I have gathered in previous posts, about this issue, Jason has a problem getting to Chama to work on the microphones. So maybe it is time to consider other alternatives to get them back online. I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes with this suggestion.
Jim Millhouse
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: web cam sound

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:26 am

Jim, Jason has addressed this in prior replys. The issue is finding someone who can climb up to where the cams are located on the coal tipple. He has further said it will be next summer at the earliest before he is able to get to Chama to do it.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:02 am

Given the work and family commitments that Jason has cited previously, it's totally understandable that he isn't able to travel from his home in Texas to northern New Mexico to do the repair sooner than next summer. And who knows what his schedule will permit him to do then. Jim's idea of hiring an outside person/firm to do it seems like a good idea if it can be done safely by somebody else at a reasonable cost, if there's somebody experienced and available to do the work for pay and if Jason can remotely provide guidance on the work needed and on how to access the equipment involved. If the Friends elect to go the route of hiring somebody to do the work, maybe those costs could be covered by some fundraising here. I gather that the cameras are important to many of our members. I believe the Friends board is meeting this week so it may be too late for consideration of hiring an outside person or firm for pre-winter action. If so, I suppose there'd be time next spring after the March board meeting to line things up for action before the operating season starts.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Allan Kirkpatrick » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:41 pm

I am one of those who cannot travel to chama. It would be very beneficial to present this idea to the board.

Allan
Allan Kirkpatrick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:58 am

I spoke with Jason yesterday and there are plans underway to restore the audio (and clean the lenses) in the spring TGLW. These cameras are 10 +/-,years old now. I would opine that more than a quick repair is called for.
I know that y'all have been waiting patiently and spring seems for ever.
Bear in mind that the railroad will be hibernating shortly and the only thing to hear is traffic noise from Terrace Ave and now and then a bird. ;-)
Rich Murray

Unread postby Jason Rose » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:13 am

Friends member, Mike Brown (from Louisiana) spent several hours working with me over the phone a few months ago. We were unable to get the mics working. John Engs approved a complete replacement of the mic system and I will do my best to get that done in the spring.

With 2 young kids now, my life and schedule are not my own anymore.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Return to Web Cameras