Chama Cameras and Chrome

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Chama Cameras and Chrome

Unread postby Tom Smith » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:18 am

For about the last week or so, using Chrome on my PC, the frames for the cameras have come up as just black squares. There are no error messages of any kind, the cameras just do not come up at all. However, using Firefox, they are working perfectly fine as usual. I have heard from someone else that they are having the same problem with Chrome as well. I have done reboots on my PC and all of the other necessary troubleshooting steps that I have always done as a seasoned IT professional to no avail. Just for kicks, I tried the cameras on my Android phone using Chrome and they work there. Is anyone else having trouble with the cameras using Chrome on their PC, or do I have a problem locally that I just have not figured out yet?
Tom D Smith
Mercer, MO
Tom Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: Chama Cameras and Chrome

Unread postby Jonathan Cordova » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:34 am

it works just fine for me
im a friends member and d&s is mostly where my heart is
Jonathan Cordova
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:58 pm

That has been what happened to me. Started sometime after I viewed the late departure on August 30. I just discovered that the site works correctly and fine on FireFox but just black squares on Chrome. Maybe somebody will determine the issue, but as far as I know there were no changes in my settings. So my comment about them not working is an example of "my bad". Anyway, 3 weeks from now, I ought to be at FL35 or so, over west Texas, enroute to a plane change in Phoenix, and then in ABQ by 10:30 that night EDT. If any of you have a real "fire in the belly" and like people, look into training as a docent. My regret is in not doing it 15 years ago. So I expect to be in Chama and available for trips the last 3 weeks of the season.

Jerry Sullivan, P.E. (retired from SR and CSX)
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:34 pm

:flame:

I have had some fun on a couple of occasions viz-a-viz the cameras, especially the one at the station. Two good friends of mine are Jack Warner and
Billy Crider although I haven't seen Billy since 2019 and Jack since last year and both have either not come out, or have already left, this year.

Anyway the AOC arrives when we used the old speakers and here come Billy & Jack, one with the speakers and the other with the "football". They
stopped in the space between the restrooms and the end of the station and my wicked self could not resist. I called one of them and when he
answered his phone, I said "SMILE YOU ARE ON CANDID CAMERA".

Jerry Sullivan, P.E. Docent
(retired from CSX & SR)
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Tom Casper » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:43 pm

I have windows 7 and Chrome Version 104.0.5112.102 (Official Build) (32-bit) with no problems watching.

Tom C.
Later:
tom at srclry dot com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Tom Casper
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Tom Casper,
Tom Smith,

I think I found the problem. My version is 105.0.5195.53 (Official Build)(64 Bit)

However the same Window said that I was almost finished with the update and to finish I should relaunch it. There was a button
for that, so I selected it. Now the cameras work in my version of Chrome. So Tom (Smith) you might want to check this. I suspect
it does not matter if you run 32bit or 64bit assuming your PC can handle 64bit but this "not finished" issue probably caused the
problem. I found it because I wanted to check my version when I saw Tom Casper's comment.

Jerry Sullivan, P.E., Docent
Retired from CSX & SR
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Tom Smith » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:39 pm

Well what do ya know. I checked the Help section in Chrome and as soon as I clicked it, it did the update (now on version 105.0.5195.102 64-bit on Windows 10) and after I relaunched it, they work!! I keep everything on this PC updated so I haven't a clue why this was behind, but more importantly, I can go back to watching the cameras on Chrome. Many thanks to Jerry and everyone else!!

Tom S.
Tom D Smith
Mercer, MO
Tom Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby James McKee » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:21 pm

I could watch the video from the cameras this morning on Microsoft Edge. Now I can't. Someone did something.
James McKee
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 am

I don't use Edge for anything. It is quite buggy and has some security issues, so on the advice of my supplier (friend at church) who assembled
my system, I only use Chrome or FireFox. My guess is that your issue is similar to mine was with Chrome. Also check Tom Smith's comment. Although he is running Win-10 and I am running Win-7 (Microsoft Train Simulator/ORTS does not like Win-10) he updated as I did, looks like a later version than mine though, and now his works as it is supposed
to. These cameras are pretty neat. Elsewhere in this forum I mentioned my wicked activity on the station camera a few years back.

Jerry Sullivan, P.E. retired
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:58 am

:proceed:

Things are busy this morning. Yesterday there was a string of private speeders parked on the first track left of the main track as seen from the north camera. These left abot 20 minutes ago and I assume these were a private speeder owners excursion. A friend, here in FL has two of them, 1 standard and 1 narrow gauge. He has run on the C&TS.

At the same time there is apparently a school train ahead of today's passenger train and it is probably going to leave around 8am. I have been on two docent enrichment rides added to a school train. My wife had said I ought to take the engineer course but I learned to run the SR-4501 more than 50 years ago, and more so to fire it. Then the wimps at the TVRM added a stoker to the 4501 during the last overhaul.

My first available day as a docent is 3 weeks from today & I look forward to it. Yes, very strenuous, especially for this old fart at 83, and I am dead tired after a trip but it is definitely a "fun kind of tired". Be out there through the last day. We stay at Cardin's Crossing B&B in Chama.

Jerry Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX & SR)
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to Web Cameras