12/30/2017 Saturday Sounds From Cameras

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

12/30/2017 Saturday Sounds From Cameras

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:05 am

Good Morning Sharon:

I tested the three cameras separately using my Chrome browser. You will see that a speaker icon appears in the tab when sound is detected. I only opened one camera per tab and then closed it. Took a screenshot. Refreshed the Chrome browser and repeated the prior procedure with each of the remaining two cameras. Upon your examination of the collage of the three cameras, you will notice that only the Depot camera has the speaker icon indicating the reception of sound. You can mute individual tabs by right clicking on the tab and activating the mute tab function.

I also recorded the sound coming from each camera as they were tested for the appearance of the icon. This was accomplished by using a sound-only recorder extension downloaded from the Chrome store. It is titled as "Chrome Audio Capture. Play back of each sound file (MP3) was accomplished using PotPlayer by Daum. It has a vertical bar graph showing the strength of the sound signal as it is played. The Depot Camera had the only sound file that could be heard and seen on the meter. It was distinctive and sounded like air swhoosing. A very low level noise coming from the improperly installed camera - has need external microphone since installed and recommended by Axion. I did not up load the sound files for you to test since it is a complicated procedure requiring access to a audio player when activated on the forum page.

It appears as though the original two cameras have lost their audio. This might have occurred when they were patched together to make a single output. Possible a short between the junction of the two cameras and the omni-directional microphone. Jason seems to be the only person accessing that hardware and could make a better analysis. However, somebody on the ground in Chama could also take a look at the installation.

I hope this information provides you with the background you are seeking. If all three cameras are opened simultaneously, then there should always be sound, even though it is only sourced at the Depot. You might want to check out the Microsoft Edge browser to see if you get the same results. I am not familiar with the features of this browser.

You will only see the speaker icon in the tab on the far right. If that tab is muted, then a slash through the icon is seen.

Honored to have Friend's membership ranking of "Conductor."
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 12/30/2017 Saturday Sounds From Cameras

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 pm

I had this issue just over a week ago and reported it to Jason. He said he had sound and shortly after that I was able to get it on both camera sets. We have to remember that the mic on the depot cam is not shielded like the Omni directional one on the tipple so it picks up wind noise while the other do not unless it is really blowing. I have the tipple up now and will monitor it since sooner or later the local cops will chase someone who is speeding in town. I also see what you are saying about the speaker icon. Open the depot cam and one appears, close it and it goes away even with the tipple running.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Sharon Evans wrote:I had this issue just over a week ago and reported it to Jason. He said he had sound and shortly after that I was able to get it on both camera sets. We have to remember that the mic on the depot cam is not shielded like the Omni directional one on the tipple so it picks up wind noise while the other do not unless it is really blowing. I have the tipple up now and will monitor it since sooner or later the local cops will chase someone who is speeding in town. I also see what you are saying about the speaker icon. Open the depot cam and one appears, close it and it goes away even with the tipple running.

Notice that Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Cliqz, and Chrome all employ the speaker icon to indicate audio broadcast on a particular tab. During the summer. the Depot Cam screams because the cooling apparatus is inside with the microphone. When the outside temperature moderates, the fan is barely audible. Can't say that I've ever heard or recorded cooling fans on the tipple cams.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm

On the tipple the lack of the cooling fan noise is due to the fact the mic is separated from the cams by a fair distance while the depot cam utilizes the onboard mic so it is right at the cooling fan. Jason is planning to install an external mic at the depot which will eliminate the cooling fan sounds.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Sharon Evans wrote:On the tipple the lack of the cooling fan noise is due to the fact the mic is separated from the cams by a fair distance while the depot cam utilizes the onboard mic so it is right at the cooling fan. Jason is planning to install an external mic at the depot which will eliminate the cooling fan sounds.

Good news about the external microphone installation on the Depot camera. We've heard this in the past summer and prior year. According to the Axion manual, this is an external jack and does not require any particular expertise. Guess it is called plug and listen instead of plug and play. I am currently running 5 POE Ethernet video cameras on my security system and am looking at adding the Axiom model being used at the depot. They are not particularly expensive and other than the noise problem have proven reliable.

I have been a bit technical in my responses, primarily because several viewers have expressed their appreciation.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Web Cameras