08/08/17 Tuesday

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

08/08/17 Tuesday

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 am

I see that Frank is out early waving to the crew of 487 as she backs down the main to head for coal.
Bill Grierson
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: 08/08/17 Tuesday

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am

There are a few puddles on the ground, but everything appears ready for Train # 216 to roll. Even the monsoon rains do not leave deep enough or running water to be a major problem at the depot. The area east of the engine house is often referred to as the swamp by regular visitors to the forum. However, it is close to the Chama River and probably has the water table rise a bit during Spring runoff. The drainage in the yards seems to be excellent overall. I suspect that there is little clay or layers of clay in the soil. Again, the closeness of the water table probably helps draw down the moisture. Now trying to handle snow is a different situation.
Honored to have Friend's membership ranking of "Conductor."
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 am

San Juan Extension Train #216 leaves on schedule. Not to be left behind, Frank "the waver" climbs onto the platform between cars 3 & 4. Call the kids over to see if they can watch Frank wave to them. (The video will be posted shortly - YouTube is Processing).

Following early morning mountain showers, Locomotive #487 pulls San Juan Extension Train #216 away from the Chama Depot on schedule. 155 Video Cam viewers watched 8 cars, including an open air gondola, streak past the gondola and out the north end of the yard. The mystery waver could be seen leaning out between cars 3 and 4. The train engineer decided to let the campers sleep-in and did not sound the whistle as he passed the campground.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Bill Grierson wrote:I see that Frank is out early waving to the crew of 487 as she backs down the main to head for coal.

That was his modus the last time in town, out early to interact with the crews. Also whatever was wrong with 487 was quickly repaired. That whistle we hear as the train rounds the curve north of the yard is for the Chama River bridge which is just past that curve.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Locomotive #488 has dropped its ashes and is being cleaned by the hostlers while #463 waits to access the ash pit area. However, #463 moves into the area only so that it can then back to the front of #488 at the engine house. (The video playback is erratic between 6:51 minutes and 7:22 minutes. It appears to have been a buffering issue following the reset of the camera.)The video was taken at 1:58 P.M. M.S.T. today.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Does anyone have an idea what the yellowish/orange 'package' is that has appeared on the back of the parlor cars is?
Bill Grierson
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Bill Grierson wrote:Does anyone have an idea what the yellowish/orange 'package' is that has appeared on the back of the parlor cars is?

Bill, let's take a look at the video. It might well be the step stool the conductor uses to help passengers board. I've noticed that he would put it up on the platform and then climb aboard himself. The colors might be off since the white balance and saturation have a major impact. I have noticed on other videos that the stool is red.

There were 125 Web\Cam viewers when Cumbres&Toltec Locomotive #489 brought 8 cars into the Chama Depot at 4:16 PM. The mystery waver seems to be totally ignored by the other riders in the open air gondola. I don't think this is the best view at the last parlor car passing the tipple. But, we'll look for Grierson's yellowish/orange package.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Bill Grierson wrote:Does anyone have an idea what the yellowish/orange 'package' is that has appeared on the back of the parlor cars is?

Orange Package or Sign.jpeg
Orange Package or Sign.jpeg (139.89 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

Bill, this graphic was taken from Train #216 that left this morning. I am inclined to think it is a sign or banner. Yes, it is orange.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Nice shot Rick. Maybe Sharon or Frank can tell us.
Thanks,
Bill Grierson
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:14 pm

It is a portable water pack that can be used by the crew to put out small fires. Got this straight from John Bush. Both parlors are carrying one.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Frank Smith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Naturally, both crazy wavers were me. 160 rider trains both ways. I hope this keeps up. We stopped the train in June to put out a smoulder near Coxo, so the fire repressor is a good idea. I will talk to Ray about it tomorrow.
We had so many diners at Osier that we had 2 turkey lines and the Salad bar in the basement.
Living the Chama dream, Frank the waver.
Frank Smith
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:21 pm

Here is a close up of the water tank on the parlor. Also we have Ray giving us a wave.
6 Conductor Ray gives a wave as the parlor New Mexico passes.jpg
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Web Cameras