08/07/2017 Monday - Do The Wave

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

08/07/2017 Monday - Do The Wave

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am

South Yards - Early Morning _2017.08.07_07h59m43s__.jpg
Please Click Image To Enlarge. Click Return Arrow On Your Browser To Go To Originating Page.

There must be a loyal group of Chama Cam viewers tucked away in a corner of the internet. At the normal arrival time of Train #215 there was a high of 128 viewers. That number slowly tapered until there were only 45 active viewers at the arrival of the combo train, Train #215 plus Flower Train.

Last edited by Rick Calkins on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honored to have Friend's membership ranking of "Conductor."
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 08/07/2017 Monday

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 am

Rick,

I read the latest comments from yesterday's postings and just wanted to THANK YOU Rick for doing a great job filling in for Sharon. In all of my time watching and reading everyone's posts I have never seen a bad one.

Thanks Frank for letting us know what the problem was with 487. I was wondering if they could turn a 13 car train. Enjoy your rides and don't forget to wave.
Bill Grierson
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

I, too, think Rick is doing a great job and he will continue to do so at least until I am done editing and posting my photographs and video from my recent trip.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:13 am

Chama Depot Cam November 2011 Kanocz_.jpg
Click on photograph for full view.
Chama Depot Cam November 2011 Kanocz_.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

Spending time waiting for the train several times during the day, I find myself wandering around the different forums and sub-forums. For those of you who have just joined us, there has been discussion of a inoperative camera - the Depot camera hung on an exterior bathroom wall. Well, during my meandering I stumbled upon the view of a camera unknown to me. The picture was taken by Joe Kanocz who joined in November 2011 and submitted this photo the same month. Possibly he or Jason can give some background on this piece of equipment. Tim has let us know that the Depot\Bathroom camera will be returning.
Bill, thanks for your kind remarks. I have communicated with Sharon, and yes she will be returning to the Web Cam page.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jason Rose » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am

Rick, that's an old camera and was put there by a local to promote his business. It was not in operation and removed around that time. Not sure of the story: either the railroad shut it down or there was a technical issue. Also, it wasn't a video camera, it took a still shot about every 2 minutes or so.

When the Friends installed the current cameras we took care not to damage historic structures or create an eyesore. This camera did both.

Rick Calkins wrote: - the Depot camera hung on an exterior bathroom wall.

The Depot camera is above the roof of the bathroom building.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

Well, I am kinda back, but not doing the trains yet. Maybe will pick it up next week. Watched 489 walk out of Chama this morning with 8 cars and Cinder Bear in the open gon.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jason Rose » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 am

You were missed, Sharon. But, Rick has done an OUTSTANDING job in your absence.

My hat is off to you, Rick. Thank you.
Jason Rose
<><
Jason Rose

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 am

Bright sunny morning in Chama, New Mexico. Locomotive 489 grandly blows her whistle and heads north pulling 8 cars. Train mascot Cinder Bear is seen waving from the open air gondola. A fire suppression speeder pulls in behind the train and follows from a distance to Antonito, Colorado.

Yes, those of you with eagle eyes saw Frank, "The Waver," hanging out the third car, three windows from the rear trying mightily to dislocate his shoulder. Thanks Frank, it is good to see that you made it aboard. And we all waved back.

Thanks also for your kind remarks.

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 am

Jason Rose wrote:Rick, that's an old camera and was put there by a local to promote his business. It was not in operation and removed around that time. Not sure of the story: either the railroad shut it down or there was a technical issue. Also, it wasn't a video camera, it took a still shot about every 2 minutes or so.

When the Friends installed the current cameras we took care not to damage historic structures or create an eyesore. This camera did both.

Rick Calkins wrote: - the Depot camera hung on an exterior bathroom wall.

The Depot camera is above the roof of the bathroom building.

Depot_Bathroom Web Cam.jpg
This picture kinda says it all. Jason is that you or Joe Kanocz on the ladder?
Depot_Bathroom Web Cam.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 08/07/2017 Monday - Do The Wave

Unread postby Jason Rose » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am

I see your point. I took your previous statement wrong. My fault. Both statements are correct: it's mounted to the wall, but is positioned above the roof.

I just wanted to make sure no one was concerned the camera was near the restroom entrance. It is well above it and has no impact on privacy.
Jason Rose
<><
Jason Rose

Unread postby John Cole » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:37 am

The point is currently the camera pole mount is on a non historic building (bathrooms) built to service train riders in the 1990s. The old snapshot camera was mounted on a historic building on (in my opinion) the most photogenic spot on the depot, (the bay window). This was done in about 2006 when Tim Tennant was general manager and one of the promises made to Tim was that the railroad would get a feed for advertising the railroad. Well that never happened, he kept it for his own use. I offered to move the camera to either one of my telegraph poles on both sides of the depot to remove it from the building and got a rash of crap from the camera's owner for even suggesting it.

That Joe Kanocz btw, and Joe doesn't like heights, but he wanted to help with the cameras that we all enjoy.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Promptly at 4:03 P.M. and against a bright, rich blue sky and a scattering of clouds, Locomotive #488 Brings home San Juan Extension Train #215, consisting of 8 cars and Frank Smith waving frantically from the open air gondola at his family, friends and many forgotten Dallas Cowboy Fans. 86 Viewers wildly wave back, while chanting their home team's fight song. This was a test to determine whether anybody actually reads these comments.

.'
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Frank Smith » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for all of the comments. At my age if you don't live your bucket list, you'll never get to. I can't see ever letting the train leave the yard without me.
The RPO has it's gold lettering, but it has been pushed so far back into the swampy part of the Rip Track that there is no way to get a decent picture of it. The same beautiful job we have come to expect of our paint crew, but we have a gem of a restoration hidden. I am sure Sharon or some of you other work session friends can shed some more sensible light on this subject.
Frank Smith
Fireman
Fireman

Return to Web Cameras