08/03/2017 Web Cams and More

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

08/03/2017 Web Cams and More

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Yesterday, John Cole shared this information with us.
John Cole wrote:
The really crazy ones were Sharon McGee and Nan Clarke who climbed up to the top of the coal tipple when John Sutkus was replacing all of the wood siding on the schieve house. (That is almost 70 feet up), just to take pictures of the Chama yard. Those two gals were fearless! It was those high ground views that gave us the idea of using the coal tipple as a yard cam location. Thanks to Jason, Steve, and John Engs as well as Dick Cowles who raised the money for the equipment it happened for all to enjoy.

This is only the beginning of the story. As though as a response to John's remarks, Jason Rose wrote the following comment. Remember, this remark was made in June 1, 2015.

New WebCam Information
postby Jason Rose » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:11 am

First and foremost, I appreciate all of the gratitude that has been expressed here and directed at me. However, John Engs, Steve Forney, and Joe Kanocz and I are a team. No one did any more work than the others. This was absolutely a team-effort, as are all of the Friend's projects.

As neat as this camera is for us fans to see what our favorite railroad is doing, the catalyst for this project was marketing. A TV station in Albuquerque specifically requested an up-close view of the action to use as a backdrop for weather broadcasts. This will put the railroad in front of 10's of thousands every day and won't cost the railroad a cent. I don't know when those broadcasts will start, but I'll pass along any information I get. Eventually, I hope stations in Denver, Amarillo, Kansas, and maybe even Dallas-Ft Worth will pick up the feed.

South WebCam Coal Tipple Mounted.jpg
South WebCam Coal Tipple Mounted.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

Those of you who wish to learn more about the planning and doing behind making these three electronic eyes on the Chama Depot train yards will want to try out these links.

RGX-Camera-Report.pdf
Camera Installation Summary
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 81 times

Camera Info Sub Forum_.jpg
Camera Info Sub Forum_.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1401 times

Last edited by Rick Calkins on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Honored to have Friend's membership ranking of "Conductor."
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 08/03/2017 Web Cams and More

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

215 Has Already Passed Through Here.jpg
Downhill for 215 to Chama Depot

Click on photograph to Enlarge.

This shot taken just a few minutes ago and Train #215 had already left Cumbres Depot and was headed into the Chama Yards.

Last edited by Rick Calkins on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 08/03/2017 Web Cams and More

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Locomotive #489 pulls Train #215 into the yards, while 109 viewers watch on the WebCams, The gondola had a nice turnout of riders. However, nobody seemed to think to wave at the viewers. The last car shown in the south WebCam had a fellow taking pictures of the tipple, and unknown to him he took a picture of us watching.
But, that did not stop some friendly fellow from leaning out from between the front second and third car, wave and then give two thumbs up.
2nd Car Waving Passenger_.jpg
CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE AND SEE PASSENGER
2nd Car Waving Passenger_.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Two Thumbs Up.jpg
CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE
Two Thumbs Up.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Web Cameras