Hey Larry Sulliivan...

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Hey Larry Sulliivan...

Unread postby Jason Rose » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 am

Looks like you might get some rain out there in Florida. Stay safe, bud. Holler if you need anything.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Re: Hey Larry Sulliivan...

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks Jason - this one isn't going to be good -- might wipe out half the East coast if it stays on the projected track, a jog a little West is worse here, but I shouldn't see anything above tropical storm winds. I don't get nervous with most of these storms, this one has me a little on edge. Will let you know how it goes -- if I have power! :sad:
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:24 pm

If anyone wants to see what's going on in this side of the country, here's a radar site I watch constantly. The purple line is the predicted track of the storm, if the eye is to the right of that a lot less damage occurs, if it's to the left of that line damage will be way more severe. While I appreciate any thoughts that have been sent my way today, by PM or otherwise, keep the folks on the East coast in mind, by this time tomorrow there could be an awful lot of people that no longer have a home.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images ... flanim.gif

I circled about where I am in relation to the storm.

bandicam 2016-10-06 18-22-53-596.jpg
bandicam 2016-10-06 18-22-53-596.jpg (263.82 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby John Cole » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:57 am

Our thoughts an prayers are with you guys. Our youngest daughter was on a business trip to Orlando this week and her company told them to get an early flight out of town. She got home to Calif. yesterday and boy are we relieved!
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:02 am

Glad your daughter got out John, lots didn't and there isn't a hotel room to be found most places outside of the heavy storm zones. I was just over at work this morning, and folks staying there from the space coast area are really worried about their homes.

This one really shaved the coast. From what I'm told by my contacts over there 107 is highest wind recorded in the Port, they had 90 steady at the LCC at KSC with the rideout crew there, likely got higher gusts. Fortunately the areas with residential houses may have missed the eyewall part of the storm, but still would have gotten 70-90mph steady winds. And the storm isn't over, now affecting areas north and perhaps beyond.

A little video from this morning. This is from the roof of a restaurant called Fishlips - it's in the port,Port Everglades, great place to eat - been there many times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1-EtdAwrcc
Sorry for the banner at the start, they did a panning and I tried to capture it.

The live cam is here - http://www.portcanaveralwebcam.com/ Likely to be up and down this morning, but the worst should be past soon. (sorry to promo a cam not railroad related, but hope you guys will let me get away with it today).

Having lived in Ft. Lauderdale for many years I've been through a bunch of these too -- though never a cat 3/4 storm. Hoping for the best, but really concerned for folks over there - lots of mobile home parks in the Titusville/Merrit Island area that I have a feeling are nothing but junk today. Hope I'm wrong!! Fortunately a small Eastern jog when the storm was near Freeport in the Bahamas probably saved a ton of trouble for Florida. As bad as it may be, the worst side of the storm stayed off shore.

Larry
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Web Cameras