Amazing...

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Amazing...

Unread postby Jason Rose » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:26 pm

I've read many stories of what life on the narrow guage was like in weather such as this. It's simply amazing to be able to see and hear it live from my home 1000 miles away where it's 80 degrees.

My hat is off to the crews that took trains out into storms like this. Can't hardly imagine how inhospitable Cumbres must be tonight.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Re: Amazing...

Unread postby Edwin Frey » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:45 am

The tree blown down across the engine house lead is testament to how wild the winds were yesterday. More free firewood for the shop crews! :eek:
Mr. Ed
Avid fan of the C&TSRR, garden railroader, general gofer.
Definitely narrow (gauge) minded.
Edwin Frey
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:53 am

Once the tree is cleared and the track is repaired (I'd be surprised to hear that it don't need some repairs) I'm sure we (the Friends) will be taking a look at the condition of the coaling ramp. :sad:
Rich Murray

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 am

Rich, I am surprised that the tree didn't knock down the wires for the light on the ash pit as well as the wires for the coal tipple. (As you probably know the tipple cameras get their power from the wires heading to the new engine house in that direction). Next summer we had better check the condition of the trees along the route of the power line to avoid disruption.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:12 am

A few hearty volunteers, a couple of buckets full of money and a ditch-witch. Future problems avoided :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich Murray

Unread postby Tom Casper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:47 am

Rich Murray wrote:Once the tree is cleared and the track is repaired (I'd be surprised to hear that it don't need some repairs) I'm sure we (the Friends) will be taking a look at the condition of the coaling ramp. :sad:

The track is fine under the tree. The bank the upper limbs hit kept the weight off the track. You can see daylight under the trunk.
Not a problem! The upper limbs will impart less damage as they don't have the mass to do much damage to the ramp track. I will be surprised if it needs any attention. :smiley24:

Tom C.
Later:
tom at srclry dot com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Tom Casper
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Rich Murray wrote:A few hearty volunteers, a couple of buckets full of money and a ditch-witch. Future problems avoided :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich, as someone who led a team one summer and trenched almost 800', that job is much easier said than done. That overhead circuit is 100 amp 3 phase to the coal tipple, and you have to derate the amperage capacity of the wire when you put them together inside a pipe. =, LOTS of dollars just in wire cost alone. Easier and cheaper to knock down a few questionable trees near the pole line.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:28 pm

John Cole wrote:
Rich Murray wrote:A few hearty volunteers, a couple of buckets full of money and a ditch-witch. Future problems avoided :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich, as someone who led a team one summer and trenched almost 800', that job is much easier said than done. That overhead circuit is 100 amp 3 phase to the coal tipple, and you have to derate the amperage capacity of the wire when you put them together inside a pipe. =, LOTS of dollars just in wire cost alone. Easier and cheaper to knock down a few questionable trees near the pole line.

Of course it is, that's why all the smileys
Rich Murray

Unread postby Mike Maguire » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Here's a daylight pic for the record. Lucky miss of the lighting rig.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-12-27 21.57.43.png
Mike Maguire
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:08 pm

I was watching the depot cam last evening and the wind was howling and blowing snow all over the place.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Web Cameras