Unused Parts and Scrap at Chama

Here's your chance to publicly ask the Friends Board of Directors your questions about the Friends. Get the real scoop directly from the source.

Unused Parts and Scrap at Chama

Unread postby Mike Kohutek » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:14 am

Who owns the plethora of unused parts, scrap metal, disused equipment, etc. that is in the area east and north of the Chama enginehouse?

Is there an inventory list? If so, is there a valuation?

Has consideration ever been given to selling any of that material to raise funds for the C&TS?

Looking forward to learning more.

Regards,

Mike Kohutek
Mike Kohutek
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: Unused Parts and Scrap at Chama

Unread postby Rich Murray » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:22 am

Mike, I believe (heavy emphasis on believe) that all of the railroad related material is owned by the railroad. There could very well be Friends materials also. As far as disposition of the material the railroad commission recently made a decision about this. I don't recall the particulars but you can review the commission tapes for details.
Rich Murray

Unread postby Mike Kohutek » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Yes, the Jan 2016 C&TS Commission video mentions a resolution regarding the disposition of unneeded, unused, material by the Commission.

I have asked Cassie Williams for a copy of the C&TS Commission resolution that was tabled during the 01/2016 meeting.

Will report here if I learn more.

Regards,

Mike Kohutek
Mike Kohutek
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Mike Kohutek » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks to Rich, Cassie and Linda...

The C&TS owns the scrap, discarded equipment, unused stuff, etc., on the grounds north and east of the engine house at Chama.

The C&TS Commssion's resolution regarding disposition of same is as follows:

RESOLVED:

In accordance with Article I of PART C of the July 1977 Amendment to the Narrow Gauge Agreement, the Commission by a unanimous vote of all of its members hereby amends both Article V (3) (b) and Article VI of Part A of said Agreement to provide a more flexible policy regarding its authority to “salvage, sell, assign, conveyor otherwise transfer title to any or all of the real and/or personal property of the Railroad” and to make use of any proceeds (i.e., collectively, “disposal of C&TSRR Property”).

C&TSRR Property is hereby classified into three distinct categories, each subject to different specific requirements and authorizations regarding any contemplated disposal:

• Category A. A unanimous vote of all the Commissioners at a duly constituted meeting of the Commission is hereby required for disposing of any C&TSRR land, “Contributing Resources” listed in the National Register, locomotives and rolling stock, or other C&TSRR Property subsequently designated by the Commission.
• Category B. The President of Cumbres Toltec Operating is hereby authorized to dispose of any C&TSRR Property not in Category A consisting of commodity-like items such as parts, materials, used shop machinery, used motor vehicles, and scrap that has a market value of less than $10,000. The President must notify the Commissioners in writing.
• Category C. The President of the CTO is hereby authorized to initiate the disposal of any C&TSRR Property not falling in Category A or Category B, with final disposition subject to a thirty-day waiting period to permit the Commission at a duly constituted meeting to consider modification or cancellation of such a disposition.

Any proceeds received from such disposal shall be retained by the Commission for use by the Railroad.

The Commission further instructs the President to issue a newly revised Policies and Practices Manual incorporating these disposal provisions.
Mike Kohutek
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Rich Murray » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks Mike that pretty well lets the world know how to proceed. LOL but, there will still be questions. It's the nature of the beast.
Rich Murray

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:22 am

A couple of weeks ago, we (Friends) rented an all terrain forklift and I removed several (30-40) items, primarily truck frames and wheel sets, that were some degree of "ours". They were transported to the Antonito CRF. We have a roundhouse turntable, and accessories. as well, but it's too large to move economically, and it may go out with the scrap.
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves..."

https://picasaweb.google.com/110183472086414135127
Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 am

Doug,Correct me if I have this wrong, weren't those parts unusable to some degree for road equipment, so were sent to Antonito to be used with the static display equipment?
Rich Murray

Unread postby John Cole » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Yes they are Rich, there are at least a dozen or more wheel sets going on the static display train on the entrance to the Antonito yard.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Not so much unusable, as, we can't afford the bronze bearings, which are in very short supply. I was -amazed- to learn that white oak inserts could be used, around the yard, but not on the line.
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves..."

https://picasaweb.google.com/110183472086414135127
Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby John Cole » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm

Some of the guys who have used Craig's oak bearing replicas say they are exactly like the real ones, and work just fine to move a car around the yard without damage.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Ask the Board of Directors