Chama Yard

Here's your chance to publicly ask the Friends Board of Directors your questions about the Friends. Get the real scoop directly from the source.

Chama Yard

Unread postby Brooks C Wilson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 am

Dear All,

I have been interested to see things happening in the Chama yard that I haven't seen previously. I have also heard rumors about the yard' future. I would be interested to hear what, if anything, is going to be done to the yard in the near future:

1. I have heard that the yard tracks will be worked on in the near future, much like the main line has been for the past six years. Is this true?

2. What are the most recent plans for the usage of the various tracks in the Chama yard? I have been hearing "engine ready track," possible new location for the Friends' work cars, and the reduction of cars in the yard.

3. The Hinman Car apparently went to the Georgetown Loop RR. Is it gone for good? Tim Tennant suggested that he thought it was on some three way trade deal, but wasn't sure what of what that deal consisted.

4. The three passenger type cars which were cocooned in plastic at the north end of the yard are gone. I understand they went to Antonito and that an outside contractor[s] will be restoring these vice the Friends [from Tim Tennant]. Will you elaborate?

All in all, I think the changes made and possible changes for the future are interesting and probably necessary. Any information the Board would be willing to provide would be most appreciated. I am a member of the Friends and love this railroad. Anything that will help it to be a better, more functional enterprise is wonderful!

Thank you. Respectfully, Brooks Wilson
Brooks C Wilson

Re: Chama Yard

Unread postby Tim Tennant » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

To follow up Brooks, there are a few items that I do not have any info on and are more railroad matters than Friends. On the Friends work car locations, this is a work in progress but Ed Lowrance did meet with John Bush and they walked the yard. I believe they made enormous progress and the final plan should be out soon after our Executive Committee reviews it. The cars that went to Antonito is part of the historic passenger fleet project that Commissioner Dan Love has taken hold of. He is procuring funding from History Colorado and would like to see them restored sooner rather than later and therefore is exploring other options as to who performs the work. The Friends have a great deal on our plate and we could not take on these cars with everything we have to address as an organization. Hopefully that fills in a few blanks.
Tim Tennant
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Ask the Board of Directors