Web Cam

Here's your chance to publicly ask the Friends Board of Directors your questions about the Friends. Get the real scoop directly from the source.

Web Cam

Unread postby Herb Engler » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 pm

I view the web cams several times a day to see what's going on in the yard. Most times I do not know the activity that I'm viewing. For example right now (11/14/13 at 1330) there is steam coming from the engine house stacks and I'm wondering what is happening. Is it possible to provide a list of activities that are planned for the day and approximate time, so that a viewer could access the web cam at a specific time and know what is going on?

Herb Engler
Herb Engler

Re: Web Cam

Unread postby Jason Rose » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Herb, I don't presume to speak for the Board or for the Railroad. It is my understanding that day-to-day operations are the railroad's business and are not generally made public.

There is a Train Bulletin posted on the camera page showing scheduled moves. There is also a schedule on the railroad's website (CumbresToltec.com) Everything outside of that is at the discretion of the railroad and I doubt that anyone in charge will be taking the time to let us know what they're doing. Please remember, the C&TS is an operating business and they have a job to do.

That being said, I think the folks on this Forum do a pretty good job of "filling in the blanks" on the day's activities. Some of it supposition, of course. Some of it is inside information. And you can usually get a good sense for what is going on and why.

The camera sub-forum is located here: viewforum.php?f=79

I hope this helps.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Re: Web Cam

Unread postby Tim Tennant » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:24 am

Jason, thank you for answering Herb's question. I agree and as a former General Manager of the railroad the employees do have work that has to get done and there isn't time for someone to provide the "viewers" of the web cams a detailed report of what's going on. As Jason indicated the railroad is a business! As a viewer one should enjoy and be thankful for the opportunity the web cams present. Please don't start demanding that information should be provided on yard moves and what the railroad is doing on a daily basis. Enjoy the cameras and let the railroad do their job! Thank you.
Tim Tennant
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Ask the Board of Directors