2015 National Narrow Gauge Convention

Related Historic Railroads & Museums

2015 National Narrow Gauge Convention

Unread postby Jason Rose » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 am

A few months ago I was asked to put together a promo for the 2015 NNGC which will be in Houston. Whether you're into modeling, or prefer 1:1 like me, you have to appreciate what these men have built. It's simply amazing! It was truly an honor to meet these guys and video the worlds they've created.

All of the railroads in this video are spectacular in their own right, but here are few special notes:

1:35 - This is the Colorado & Western. It's in G scale and the equipment is so large that you can practically feel the vibrations when the trains roll by. The layout room dominates the 2nd floor of owner Barry Bogs' house and it is a floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall all-encompassing world. It's easy to forget where you are as the hours fly by.

5:05 - Ophir, Colorado. There is very little compression used here. This is as close to seeing Ophir (as it once existed) as you can get. All of the trestles are there. This particular railroad, owned by Eddie Carol, is 3,200 square feet! And, it's double-decked... so do the math. I could spend days there and not see it all.

9:00 - This is the oldest (most mature?) railroad I visited. The Stony Creek & Western has been under construction by Gil Freitag for over 40 years. The level of detail in the models and the electronics is remarkable.

Even if you aren't a serious modeler, it's worth attending the convention just to see these (and many more) layouts.

Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Re: 2015 National Narrow Gauge Convention

Unread postby Steve Ritchie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 am

Jason, Wow what a great video. Was hoping to attend the NNGC in Kansas City this year but didn't make it ( it being close to Oklahoma City ). Maybe i'll get another shot with it being in Houston. Your video sure makes me want to get started on my narrow gauge layout, thanks. Steve
Steve Ritchie
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm

My jaw dropped a couple of times. Very impressive.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Amazing video, even more amazing layouts. Thanks for putting the video here!
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Related Railroads & Museums