Passing the Editorial Torch

Historic and Current Dispatch Magazines

Passing the Editorial Torch

Unread postby Chris James » Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am

As Rich Murray mentioned in the Spring issue , he has decided to hang up his green editorial eye shade as Editor of the C&TS Dispatch.

Thus, with this issue, the editorial torch of The C&TS Dispatch passes from Rich, who has edited the Dispatch since 2012, to me, Chris James, a Friends member since 2007. Rich leaves some very large shoes to fill. But I have promised both Rich and Tim that I will do my best to keep the Dispatch the vital communication tool that it is, informing the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad of the railroad’s past, present and future, its goals, its struggles and its progress as we work together to carry a 19th and 20th century railroad further into the 21st century.

But the Dispatch is not only for the members of the Friends. It is also a vital promotional tool to those who are not members (yet) as well as those who are unfamiliar with the magnificent National Historic Landmark that is the C&TS, unique among the many historic and scenic railways in America. The publication you are holding in your hands is also given out at railroad-themed events around the country and is provided to those who have the power and influence to help the both the railroad and Friends of the C&TS achieve their goal of preserving, maintaining, and interpreting this important piece of Colorado and New Mexico history. Distribution of the Dispatch encourages not only future members, donors and supporters of the Friends but also future riders of the railroad.

With the next issue of Dispatch, Summer, 2016, you will begin to see some changes in the overall design the magazine. Tim has given me latitude to nudge and tweak the content and layout a bit, subject of course to approval, not only by the Friends’ leadership but also you, the Dispatch readers. The goal of these nudges and tweaks is not change for change’s sake but to make the Dispatch an even better communication medium for the years ahead. Like the railroad, The Dispatch needs to consider the present and future demographics of you, our readers (its “passengers,” if you will). This includes the Friends’ members who have been here since the dawn of the organization in 1988 (or before), established members of the last several decades, newer members such as myself and yes, members yet to come aboard.

All of us, regardless of our station in life, need to work together to keep the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - and the railroad itself that is the reason for our existence - moving forward. For some, that might be simply paying annual dues that may help pay for the Friends’ administration, purchase preservation materials or to print and mail the Dispatch; some will play more active roles by attending restoration sessions during the summer; some might donate preservation funds or attend our fundraising events; some have taken on volunteer positions on the Board, restoration project planning, on-board docents or, in my case, agreeing to edit the Dispatch. We are all giving what we can, big or small, in time, energy, dollars or simply moral support. The Dispatch is part of that overall effort.

I hope you will join me in thanking Rich Murray for his time and expertise as Editor and you will continue supporting, contributing, or volunteering with the wonderful organization that is the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad.

• Christopher James, Sandia Park, NM, cjames@silverrailsleadville.com
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Passing the Editorial Torch

Unread postby Jason Rose » Tue May 10, 2016 10:24 am

Rich, thank you for all your hard work. Your efforts yielded so many fantastic editions of the Dispatch. You've set a high standard for all others to live up to.

Chris, thank you for your willingness to step up and take on this daunting project. While it is usually a thankless job, I believe it will be satisfying and rewarding.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Craig Kumler » Tue May 10, 2016 11:34 am

My thanks also to Rich for a wonderful job with the dispatch over the years. Also, good luck to our new editor Chris James in his new pursuit. I look forward to the next issue with great anticipation. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this fine periodical.
Craig Kumler
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Thu May 12, 2016 9:10 am

Gentlemen, Thank you for your kind words. Being able to present the goings and comings of the Friends organization to its members was an honor and usually ;-) a pleasure. Truth be told, I didn't want to pack it in as being constantly involved is a very rewarding experience, however life decided differently. Que sera, sera
Chris, from one gray beard to another, I know from your book and our conversations that you will do a hell of a job! Thank you for stepping up to the plate.
Rich Murray

Return to C&TS Dispatch Magazine (1988-present) & Telltale (1971-78) Newsletters