New Docent

Photos and stories of the men and women that support the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

New Docent

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 am

I noticed there was nothing in this forum, so I will brag a bit. I qualified last year as a docent under the expert tutelage of
Jack Warner and made 5 trips, including a yard host experience in Chama. This year, I expect to arrive in Antonito on
9/24/20 where my wife and I will stay 4 nights at Conejos Anglers and then through 10/18 at Mogote Meadows. We have
rented cabins at both.
I was employed by the Southern Railway, FRA, and Chessie System/CSX for a total of 34 years in the industry, but my
railfan experience started at around age 2 on the knee of my uncle, a high seniority L&N passenger engineer. I was a
electronic engineer in the Southern test department, and manager of the Chessie Signal departments CAD system.
CSX moved me from Huntington, WV to Jacksonville, FL in 1986, and I retired here in 2001. At age 81, I hope I have a
few seasons to work as a docent. I enjoy meeting new folks, and have been interested in D&RG(W) history for many
years. I have all of John Norwood's books, the most important being 2 that focus on the narrow gauge. Hope to
see more of the docents this year - really liked the ones I was with last year.

Jerry H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired) :proceed:
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: New Docent

Unread postby Jason Rose » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:13 am

Congratulations, Jerry! I hope you have a great fall season.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Re: New Docent

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:13 pm

It was. Being the "resident docent" at Antonito, because NM would not admit FL folks without a quarantine, meant that I got a lot of trips, 10 in all. My wife, however, decreed that we would not go out there again (or at least she would not) if we had to stay in a studio cabin (which she likened to a cell), so in 2021 we were in Chama for two weeks and 5 trips. I did have the pleasure of innoculating great grandson #2 and a friend from Jacksonville was on one of the trips, riding the Premium service car. He gave me a good grade. This year, we leave FL on Sept. 28 by SouthWest Airlines and will stay in Chama through Oct. 23, the last day of the season. Originally, we would gone on June 30 for a start on July 1 but the water system in Chama became an issue and the same day we were notified about that, our lodger called to cancel us because she had the Covid. This maybe our last year given the high cost of 2-3 weeks stay. Airfare is the cheapest major expense. Try $150 a day for a car rental for example. When AAA set up my Hertz Gold reservation I told the young lady helping me that I wanted to rent the vehicle, not make a down payment.

Jerrry Sullivan
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to Friends Staff & Members