Work Session D - LAST DAY!

Discussion Pertaining to Work Session D - 2012

Work Session D - LAST DAY!

Unread postby Ted Smith » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Some important restoration work has been done during the past four sessions - and the photos will show, as we end Session D and prepare to return in early August for another two productive weeks, that LOTS has been accomplished by the Friends! We didn't get to Antonito today, but we will go up tomorrow and take some photos before we get ready to board the Moonlight Train in the early evening. Several Friends members are going to be enjoying the wine, cheese, and prime rib dinner at Osier!

Ted and Linda
008.JPG
Russ Sperry spray paints the rear of Engine 483; some may not be aware that 483 was the first and only operating engine the C&TS had when it first started operations
004.JPG
Tom Ramos, John Ferrell and Larry Ferrell take a break after spending time removing rust from 483's cab.
005.JPG
New door was temporarily hung on RPO Car 054 (postal end)
009.JPG
New door temporarily hung on RPO Car 054 - express end
007.JPG
RPO 054 Team Leader Don Bayer installs rubberized fiber glass covering to roof.
014.jpg
THEN: RPO 054 window frame - 6-8-2009
010.JPG
NOW: RPO 054 Window Frame 6-29-2012
011.JPG
New doors built and installed on both sides of Sheep Stock Car 5633. They will be painted black at a later date.
001.JPG
Here's the new tool car at the end of Session D!
Attachments
002.JPG
Grab irons and other hardware have been re-installed on the new tool car (TL Craig McMullen)
Last edited by Ted Smith on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ted Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: Work Session D - LAST DAY!

Unread postby Greg Raven » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:37 am

The woodwork on those projects looks incredible. WOW! My compliments to the Friends master carpenters.

Regards,
Greg
Greg Raven
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby John Cole » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:49 am

Just doing the cab is a big accomplishment. There is SO MUCH WORK involved on just that one section. Years ago Bob Tully asked me to weld all the extra holes closed on the roof of the 84 that weren't needed, and when I was finished, I think it was 23 of them, with some of them being bigger than an inch. For all that work it was hard for anyone else to tell what went into that one little job alone, so kudos to the very first team working on fixing up the 83.

Hopefully when the day comes for it to be made operational again, their hard work will be one less thing the shop guys will need to do to bring it back.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Chris James » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:06 am

Here's a couple more shots from the RPO restoration. I didn't have time to get out and about for many shots of other projects (Don Bayer kept us hopping'). The RPO is progressing beautifully! And I had a great week! Thanks, all.

RPO exterior (well, half of it) early in the week of Session D:

The interior woodwork on the car is gorgeous. It will be a shame (sort of) to cover this up with paint someday. Kudos to Don Bayer and previous volunteers for doing such incredible work:

Yours truly applies the trim for one of the express door headers:

Don Bayer applies the rubberized rain/ice seal to the roof:

Don Bayer and Todd Frazier hang one of the postal doors:

Cross-posted on the NGDF.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 am

Chris that is truly looking great! I can't wait to see it finished and sitting on the new trucks that are planned for it.
Rich
(E pluribus unum)
Rich Murray

Return to Work Session D (June 25-29)