Old Antonito Station

There is more to the Chama and Antonito area than the railroad. In this forum we will feature photos and articles about other things to see and do.

Old Antonito Station

Unread postby John Sporseen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 pm

I am 74 years old but am actually reasonably healthy for the health I'm in. (Sorry) Before I get too much older I'd love to see something done with the old station in the wye. Every time I am in Antonito I wander over there and take some pictures. They are basically the same every time. Over the past few years I've heard rumors about who actually owns it and occasionally somebody mentions something that might be done with it. I'm wondering who really does own it and are there any restoration plans and ideas.

One thing I would do if I had time and a lot of money and people who were positive about the idea would be to put a crossover track from the loop to the SLRG and then run some three rail to the old station. Of course a couple of tricky new switches would be required. It would be a kick on days when a Rio Grande Scenic train is bringing passengers from Alamosa to meet them with the morning train, go on over to the CTS station and load up the rest there and then take off for Chama. If it ever got done I'd try to be on the first two trains.
John Sporseen
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: Old Antonito Station

Unread postby John Hamman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:43 am

Great idea! But I wonder since they would not let C&T use the wye if is would be allowable even if funds were forthcoming?
John Hamman
Engineer
Engineer

Return to More Than Trains...