Wacky vs Porcupine "The Race" (off topic)

There is more to the Chama and Antonito area than the railroad. In this forum we will feature photos and articles about other things to see and do.

Wacky vs Porcupine "The Race" (off topic)

Unread postby Roger Hogan » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm

A friend and I were on our way back to Chama from Cumbres Pass and we saw a porcupine cross the road and head down a steep embankment, I yelled stop, grabbed my camera and the race was on. At the bottom of the embankment was a flat area and I knew If I could keep up going down hill I would catch him once we got to flat ground.

1. At the bottom and he is heading for the thick willows so I tried a fast shot, quick stop, out of breath so not real clear and crisp photo.

2. I got in front of him and turned him away from the thick willows.

3. He was tired from the race and was picking a spot for the fight.

4. He decided OK if its a fight I will be ready. Tucked his head under his chest and puffed up with his tail ready to strike.

5. I backed of a couple of steps and started to softly meow at him and he finally pulled his head out and looked at me.

And the winner is ???? A tie.

I thanked him and we went our separate ways.
Roger Hogan
Roger Hogan
Conductor
Conductor

Re: Wacky vs Porcupine "The Race" (off topic)

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Thu May 29, 2014 3:16 am

Nice sequence of shots and story. First few shots really illustrate well why to stay back from those critters!
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Re: Wacky vs Porcupine "The Race" (off topic)

Unread postby Roger Hogan » Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am

Larry Sullivan wrote:Nice sequence of shots and story. First few shots really illustrate well why to stay back from those critters!

Not a good idea to get to close.
Roger Hogan
Roger Hogan
Conductor
Conductor

Return to More Than Trains...