Osier and gallows turntables

Discussions regarding the Bi-State Commission overseeing Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Osier and gallows turntables

Unread postby Douglas van_Veelen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

Hi,

I have been out of touch in the hospital since November 10. I posted this idea (I think) over on the NGDF. Not been successful in re-locating the thread.

There are no turntables on the C&TS but the location for two 50 footers are at Chama and at Osier.

The discussion about a turntable at Chama has been around and has been interesting. My personal opinion is the ex-C&S turntable should not be used on the C&TS proper. If the dual gauge was extended north of Antonito and the C&S table put in there, I'd not have a problem with that.

My question/comment is about Osier. I am not sure about the turntable(s) at Osier.

As a question for my own information, would a wood gallows turntable (50') at Osier fit the historic presentation of the C&TS?

I have two (2) photos of the above ground installation of the 'H' frame gallows turntable (50 footer) of the Monarch Pass table. Would a 50' gallows turntable fit or not the tail being told at Osier?

Osier has already been modified from its original format with a dining hall and a balloon loop around a hilltop. A 50' gallows turntable could be used for turning (if desired) visiting locomotives such as 315, Goose #5, and 168 to show how earlier "armstrong" turntables worked.

As for historical correctness, I think the last turntable there was a steel girder 50 footer.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Doug vV
Douglas van_Veelen
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to C&TSRR Commission