Friends and the NM Rural Electric Coops

Get the latest news here. Forum Instructions/Tips are also here.

Friends and the NM Rural Electric Coops

Unread postby Chris James » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Out here in the New Mexico boonies, I'm a member of the Central NM Rural Electric Coop, one of 14 Rural Electric Coops round the state. There are rural electric coops all over the country. The New Mexico coops have a monthly tabloid newspaper called Enchantment that is sent to 100,000 households and businesses around New Mexico. Getting my KwH from one of one of the coops, I receive a monthly issue of Enchantment. The tabloid features Coop news, recipes, hints on energy conservation, advertising and classified ads (in case you are looking for a good deal on a used John Deere tractor). Plus there is always one "feature" story about something around the state (within one of the 14 coops). Chama is within the Northern Rio Arriba County Electrical Coop so...

Last fall, I said to myself, "Self? Maybe there's a story here. Given it's the 30th Anniversary of the Friends, perhaps they might be interested." I figured tooting something about the Friends to 100,000 recipients couldn't hurt. If 1% actually read the story, that's 1,000 new folks who have heard about us. Maybe that will generate a new member or two. So I pitched a story to them and by gum they bit, hook, line and sinker. The story and photos are now out in the March issue of Enchantment. If you are a NM Electrical Coop member you will get a copy in the mail. If not (which I think is more likely the case), I've attached a downloadble .pdf file of the two-page (plus cover) of the March issue.

This is all part of my current mission in life to increase awareness (and membership) in the Friends. If you know someone else who might be interested, forward this link to them. Or download it and then forward the article. Whatever.

BTW. before you ask: The story has a New Mexico focus because Antonito is not part of the Colorado Rural Electric Coop system or I would have pitched it to the Colorado coop magazine as well. Still, if any of you have ideas of where else this (or some variation thereof) could be published, give me a shout and I'll see what I can find. Better yet, if YOU have an outlet that might be interested in something about the Friends and you want to be famous with an article with your byline on it, go for it. If you need help "ghost writing" something, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks! Enjoy the story

Chris James
Attachments
enchantment Mar18 .pdf
Enchantment, March, 2018
(343.16 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Friends and the NM Rural Electric Coops

Unread postby Jason Rose » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am

That is dang cool, Chris. Nicely done.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Edwin Frey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 am

Great article, Chris. It shares a very important perspective on this treasure that we all share. Thanks for all you do on behalf of the "Friends"
Mr. Ed
Avid fan of the C&TSRR, garden railroader, general gofer.
Definitely narrow (gauge) minded.
Edwin Frey
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Chris James » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 am

Jason Rose wrote:That is dang cool, Chris. Nicely done.

Thanks, Jason. It was fun to write. I just wish they'd given me space for the 1,100 words.

Also thanks, Mr. Ed. It is indeed a treasure and, as we celebrate our 30th Anniversary, I want to make sure it's around in another 30 years.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Chris,
Nice article. It's good to see an informative piece w/ photos that should catch the eyes of potential volunteers for work sessions, especially an article like yours reaching an in-state audience. Well done.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Return to NEWS & Updates