C&T and D&S considering swap of locomotives

Get the latest news here. Forum Instructions/Tips are also here.

C&T and D&S considering swap of locomotives

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:53 am

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,292505

Locomotive swap
Posted by: John Bush (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2015 08:58AM

The following is a release crafted jointly by the C&TSRR and the D&SNGRR concerning the possible exchange of locomotives.

LOCOMOTIVE SWAP MAY BE IN THE WORKS
Durango & Silverton and Cumbres & Toltec in Discussions to Swap Locomotives

JULY 1, 2015 Two of the largest narrow gauge railroads in America confirmed today that they are in discussions to swap locomotives. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (DSNGRR) and the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad (C&TSRR) stated that they are continuing to discuss possibilities of trading locomotives, a move that would strengthen both of their fleets. However, no formal agreement has been reached. The two locomotives in discussion are C&TSRR #483 and D&SNGRR #478.

Under the discussions, the C&TSRR would ship locomotive #483 to Durango. This is a K-36 locomotive of the larger class, perfect for heavy mountain pulling, but has been out of service since the 1970’s and is currently in storage in the C&TSRR yard. The C&TS has no plans to restore it to service. It is a sister locomotive to the 480 series of engines the C&TSRR currently uses – the #484, #487, #488 and #489. The #483 was built by Baldwin in 1925.

In return, the D&SNGRR would ship locomotive #478 to the C&TSRR. This is a K-28 locomotive, which is a smaller class engine. It would primarily be used by C&TSRR on double headers. It is currently in long term storage with some of its parts removed for safe keeping. The #478 was built by American Locomotive in 1923.

Since the tracks between Durango and Chama were removed long ago, the engines, if traded, would be transported by lowboy hauler trucks. Details on any potential transfer of engines would be announced at a later date.

“The mission of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad has always been to preserve the history and heritage of railroading in the West, and this engine swap will accomplish that by giving us a K-28 locomotive, which we currently do not have,” said John Bush, president of the railroad. In a similar vein, the C&TSRR recently acquired a long term lease of engine #168 from Colorado Springs. The 1883 locomotive, which once pulled President Howard Taft on the line, will be restored and used in special historic events. The C&TSRR has the largest collection of historic narrow gauge rail cars in the world, and is the longest and highest railroad in America with five locomotives that steam more than 18,000 train miles a year.

D&SNGRR currently operates approximately 45,000 steam miles annually. In order to ensure that will continue to be the case well into the future, the Harper family has decided to commit an additional $500,000 annually over the next decade towards extending the service life of its fleet of 90 plus year old locomotives. These additional funds will allow the mechanical department to institute a more year around maintenance schedule and continue its ongoing program of heavy repair work, with emphasis on its larger K-36 class of locomotives.

The D&SNGRR continually reviews the engine fleet with the goal of providing more motive power depth. “Any potential addition to, and ultimate return to service of another locomotive to the D&SNGRR will be a multi-year project,” said Randy Babcock, Mechanical Foreman of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.

Both the DSNGRR and the C&TSRR were originally part of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, which was founded in 1880 by General William J. Palmer. The narrow gauge extension ran from Walsenburg, Colorado to Alamosa, south to Antonito, west to Chama, New Mexico, then north to Durango, continuing on to Silverton, Colorado.

The railroad was originally used for mining, then turned more to lumber and in the 1950’s oil fields freight. In the 1960s, the future of the railroad was in doubt, and in 1969, the railroad abandoned the stretch of line between Durango and Chama. The 64-mile stretch of rails from Antonito, Colorado to Chama, New Mexico was saved jointly by the states of Colorado and New Mexico in 1970 and today is celebrating 45 years of running as the C&TSRR.

With 45.2-miles of track between Durango and Silverton, the Durango scenic train has run continuously since 1881 and is one of the few railroads in the world that has continuously run steam locomotives. Today, it is owned and operated by American Heritage Railways.
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Re: C&T and D&S considering swap of locomotives

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:29 pm

That would be a great swap and get the 483 rebuilt and running as well as give the C&TS another smaller engine for double headers and photo freights. Between the C&TS and D&SNG this would get almost the entire K36 class operating. Where else in 2015 could you find an entire, almost, class of steam engines running.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jason Rose » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:36 am

Paul, thanks for the cross-post. I had intended to do that, but got side-tracked.

Sure would be interesting to see a K28 on the C&T, but I'm not holding my breath. Money is tight and this will require quite a bit of it.

Here's a video I shot of 478 a few years ago. Very cool locomotive!

Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Blake Bogs » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm sure there will be mixed emotion if the trade happens. If it does come through, it will be amazing to see a K-28 running in Chama and to see 483 running again on the D&S. We might have to wait 3-5 years for it to happen, but it would be awesome!
Enjoy,
Blake
Blake Bogs
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks Jason, that was one neat video.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Doug Doane » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 pm

When this happens, it will give the C&TS at least one of each D&RGW narrow gauge 2-8-2 (not necessarily operable).
Doug Doane
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Paul Nielson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 pm

How does the engine life get recorded ? As in hours running , hours hot or cold as this relates to the FRA rules for steam engines. How does this affect engine usage.

Thanks Paul
Paul Nielson
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Mark Sigmon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Paul, if I am not mistaken, any day the boiler is operating above atmospheric pressure is considered a service day. I would assume the railroad keeps a log.
Mark Sigmon
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby John Hamman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 am

Jason Rose wrote:Paul, thanks for the cross-post. I had intended to do that, but got side-tracked.

Sure would be interesting to see a K28 on the C&T, but I'm not holding my breath. Money is tight and this will require quite a bit of it.

Here's a video I shot of 478 a few years ago. Very cool locomotive!

Jason,
I agree - very cool. Got to ride behind the 473 (one of D&SNG operating K28s) several weeks ago.
John Hamman
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby John Hamman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 am

Just catching up with this thread. While it is really good to see that the 483 is getting a much needed face-lift for display purposes, I would rather see it fully restored and out on the line somewhere even if the K36s were not used on the entire Silverton run historically (occasionally up to Rockwood I think is the farthest they went). I believe, the K28s did run between Alamosa and Durango though and one would make a great addition to the C & T.

John
John Hamman
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Mark Sigmon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:56 am

So, from watching the videos of the latest commission meeting (Thanks Jason) the trade has been approved on the C&TS end.
How does it stand on the D&S end? What's the next step?
Mark Sigmon
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby John Hamman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Mark Sigmon wrote:So, from watching the videos of the latest commission meeting (Thanks Jason) the trade has been approved on the C&TS end.
How does it stand on the D&S end? What's the next step?

Yes, just listened to the meeting. Sounds like Bush has the go-ahead to negotiate the swap. Thanks for updating the thread, I had not realized Jason had posted the meeting.
John
John Hamman
Engineer
Engineer

Return to NEWS & Updates