Weather station at Cumbres Pass

Cumbres Pass, Colorado

Weather station at Cumbres Pass

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Members of the C work session's Milepost and Whistle Board Crew try to get to Chama the preceding weekend to have time for scouting, exploration, train watching and photography. In 2012, we went up to Cumbres Pass on the Sunday before the work session to do some landscape photography on the ridges south and west of the pass. While we were making way through forest that's roughly between Cumbres and Windy Point, several of us came upon a small installation of equipment in a clearing in the woods. There was a large pillow like a water bed flush with the ground and covered with a metal mesh, and several pieces of equipment adjacent and above. There was minimal labeling on the equipment but we surmised it was an automated weather station.
image.jpg
Photo courtesy of Terry Woolsey

I did some Google searching that evening and learned that the Cumbres site ("Cumbres Trestle") is one of many such sites maintained by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in mountains across the West to measure precipitation and snowfall accumulations. One big use is to help resource planners predict spring runoff. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/
If I've done this right, here's a link to the Cumbres site's data. There's a lot of snow up there, folks. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=431&state=co
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Weather station at Cumbres Pass

Unread postby John Cole » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 pm

I worked this summer during session E and only could find the abandoned location by the carman's house so I asked Bill Bemis where this was located, and took a few photos myself. Did you see over at the goat that Bill's dog Bandit died about a week ago? How sad! Bill was a welder by trade and made a rack on the front, and the rear of his quad cycle, but Bandit would only ride on Bills lap. I hope Bill finds a new 'Bandit" to share his summers up on Cumbres Pass with him.
Last edited by John Cole on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Re: Weather station at Cumbres Pass

Unread postby Jason Rose » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 am

Paul, thanks for the information and the link.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Return to Cumbres Pass - MP 330.6 - 10,015'