May 28, our last ride (so far)

Discussions, photos, & videos regarding the history and preservation of the D&RGW K36 #489

May 28, our last ride (so far)

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:09 pm

What a great day and ride it was on May 28. We were on the double header out of Chama, which left a few
minute late but the words of appreciation from the local folks, mayor of Chama, etc. made it all worth it.
This year, our second trip to Chama, we stayed at the Parlor Car B&B and I second other's comments,
Wendy really takes care of you and we just loved her and her husband. Probably will return for the
fall colors in 2018 and hope to stay there again then. One word of warning. She no longer accepts
credit cards so it is cash or check. We had assumed that credit cards would be okay, but we had enough
cash and I have asked Wendy to make this change on her web site and to also provide a place there for
guests comments. There is a ATM machine just down the street at the bank anyway.

Someone took a great video as our train left Chama, and got a pretty good image of yours truly sitting
with my grandson in the tourist car. My friends are enjoying it and many have asked about "how to get
there and where do you stay".

And one of the neat things is my grandson and I go in this shed and one guy is cutting tongue/groove siding
to length, and another is priming it with a brush. All this in preparation for a later work group to use it
to restore a box car sitting outside. And who are these folks - I forget the names, but one is the retired
director of the Children's hospital in New Orleans, and the other is a current Emergency Pediatrician there
and both were staying at the Parlor Car. We really enjoyed their company at breakfast on the 28th &
29th. Looking forward to the next ride. Also met John Bush and Don Martinez, both great guys. Don
was our conductor as far as Osier, and his son was the brakeman.

Because of the train length, it was necessary to slack ahead and stop to pick up the parlor car,
tourist car, and caboose charter folks. Don's son tells the engineer to "Stop" on the handi-talky
and I told him. No, you say "That will do when you get em' stopped". I told him that was the
standard Southern Railway method. Really nice folks and we enjoyed every minute of it. :proceed:

Jerry Sullivan
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to K36 #489