489 has a checkered history

Discussions, photos, & videos regarding the history and preservation of the D&RGW K36 #489

489 has a checkered history

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:05 pm

I suppose most of you know this, but at the February TrainShow here in Jacksonville, FL, I bought a interesting
book on the history of the D&RG line over Marshal Pass. To back up a bit, on Sept. 1, 2014, we rode the eastbound
from Chama to Antonito, and the engine was #489.

In the book, I purchased, I discovered that #489 was the lead engine on the last revenue train eastbound over
Marshall Pass, 1950 I believe was the year, anyway early fifties. And then it was also the engine used to pull the
scrappers train as the line was abandoned. It is pictured several times (in B&W) in the book and in one of those
it is the helper on an eastbound and it the epitome of a hard working engine. Long may it continue on the C&TS.

Perhaps I will see some of you on May 28. We have tickets on the tourist car for my wife and I , and our 18 year
old grandson, just graduated from HS in Houston, TX. We'll be on the first eastbound, Chama to Antonito of this
year's season. We stayed at the Branding Iron in 2014, but this time we have reservations at the "Parlor Car B&B",
and I look forward to doing it again with our grand-daughter in June 2017. Meanwhile, at 77, I am a bit old to
do much restoration work, but I do intend to provide some $$ instead of labor.

Jerry Sullivan
(retired from CSX and Southern Rwy., and no, old rails never get enough) :stop:
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: 489 has a checkered history

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Foster's, just down the street, best breakfast in town. And for my money, the best dinner. I live on the next street back. Enjoy your stay! Pretty sure most of us will be at the CRF in Antonito at that date, you might have a few minutes before the bus ride back to see the facility!
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves..."

https://picasaweb.google.com/110183472086414135127
Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:01 pm

I would agree about Fosters. Not only that but very honest folks too. In 9/2014 we ate supper there after arriving
back on the bus, and I left my jacket on the back of my chair. Didn't miss it until we were ready to go to breakfast
at Fosters the next morning, and I thought I might have left it on the bus, which had not left to go to Antonito yet,
but it was not there. However, when we went to breakfast the lady said that she thought I left a green jacket there
the previous night and produced it from where she had hung it up in the kitchen. We went on to Durango and rode
the D&S and then on to Alamosa and rode the RioGrande Scenic, but I have told everybody that while all three offer
something different, if you can only ride one, the C&TS is by far the best of them.

The wife wanted something more "romantic" so I opted for the Parlor Car B&B this trip and if we like it, we will be
back in 6/2017 with our grand-daughter -- these are our high school graduation gift trips. Even so Mrs. Johnson
serves breakfast only, so Fosters gets the nod for supper unless the wife over-rules me.

We also plan to attend the 1st Baptist Church on the 29th before driving back to Albuquerque.

:proceed:

Jerry Sullivan
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:21 am

In my idiocy, I sort of missed the "breakfast" part of "bed and breakfast". :-) Of course, the High Country at the other end of town gets rave reviews from everyone, too, although I prefer Fosters.

Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 am

Hate to say this, but when I was out there last August people staying at the Parlor Car were saying Foster'so had gone down hill. I can't say since I like the High Country so eat dinner there. Will tell you Wendy makes a good and varied breakfast.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:28 am

Wendy is an interesting person. I have talked to her a number of times on the phone. She had cataract surgery this past Feb.
in Salt Lake City (I had it in the spring of 2014) and so I told her she would know soon why some friends poked fun at times
at her. Colors are so different after the surgery. Sure enough, she said on the way back from SLC she never saw snow so
brilliantly white. Then she realized that her selection of colors had been way off for years. Seems like a great lady, and we
look forward to staying there two nights.

At first we had reserved the Pullman room, but when we decided to take our grandson with us, Wendy told us that the Pullman
would be a little tight, so she switched us to the Palmer room. God willing, we will take our grand-daughter out next year.

My regret is that I did not join the "Friends" years ago. I would have enjoyed being a docent on the train or something like that
because history, especially railroad history is a favorite interest of mine. I've worked in the industry for over 50 years, having
retired from CSX in 2001, but then worked for a signal contractor ever since.

Jerry Sullivan

:herald:
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:31 am

Which end of town is the "High Country" at, north, south.

Jerry Sullivan
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:32 am

What is the "CRF" in Antonito. Probably won't have time to see it, but that makes me curious.

Jerry Sullivan
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Jerry Sullivan wrote:Which end of town is the "High Country" at, north, south.

Jerry Sullivan

South end near the junction Where 64/85 head west and NM17 starts.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks Sharon, we will check that out.

Jerry
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Jerry Sullivan wrote:What is the "CRF" in Antonito. Probably won't have time to see it, but that makes me curious.

Jerry Sullivan

Car Repair Facility, as far as I know, in the northeast corner of the facility. If you see "indoor" pictures of ongoing car repairs, that's the CRF, as there is no "indoors" in Chama.

CRF.jpg
CRF.jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
CRF2.JPG
CRF2.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 4079 times

Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Sharon Evans wrote:Hate to say this, but when I was out there last August people staying at the Parlor Car were saying Foster'so had gone down hill. I can't say since I like the High Country so eat dinner there. Will tell you Wendy makes a good and varied breakfast.

To be honest, I've heard that from other Friends, too, but I eat there several times a week, and have never had a complaint. I've been here about 18 months now. They serve more food per plate, and are cheaper, than the High Country.

On the other hand, I'm a long time bachelor, and, any food that's hot, and cooked by someone else, is a treat to me. :-) My cleaning lady comes every week and leaves the kitchen so clean, I'm afraid to go in there.

Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:43 am

Hey Doug, what changes have you noticed since the owner (Alice?) died? Who is in charge now?
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:40 am

None. Her daughter "Toasty" (Josefina?) was managing, and still is. The place was, and is, for sale, perhaps a little more seriously now. Hours, service, food, menu, all the same. During summer hours, they open at 6am, and Bob Conry and I eat there every day to plan our activities.

Better steaks, and bigger breakfasts, in my opinion, and Alaskan King Crab on the menu. I get steak, m-r and blackened, and three eggs for breakfast all the time.

The other day, I went in and ordered pancakes, in a rare change, and got...steak m-r, blackened and three eggs. :-) Which I love anyway, so no problem. That's the worst mistake they ever made for me.

They -did- have a chef/cook there that was pretty slow during big rushes, and I have had to wait for my chow once or twice.

Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:22 pm

The wife all but begs to stay in Antonito as she likes that restaurant on the main St. with the funny awnings, although we only
ate there once - lunch just before we continued on from Alamosa to Los Alamos in 2014. It was good, but personally I liked
Fosters, but when I mentioned that it seemed to have slid a bit, I was informed that we would not eat there this trip, i.e.
at Fosters. Next year, I am studying how I might let the wife take the rental car and the grand-daughter over to Durango
while I stay in Chama. I might apply to be a docent for a few days. Although retired from the railroad, I was first a railfan,
(but kept it in the closet while working at Southern Rwy.) and always a historian. I have two or three Beebe and Clegg
books on the Colorado NG and have always been fascinated by it.

I do the programs for the local NRHS chapter and they know that about every 3rd month, they will get another dose of
NG.

The CRF looks like a nice place to do indoor work and like was said, there didn't appear to be any place like that in
Chama. Otherwise, though I find Chama to be quite interesting.

The docent on the open air car in 9/14 was very well versed in the esoteric history of sites and I found him to be
interesting. I believe he said he was a retired teacher, but in any case he and his wife had driven a RV over and
were staying at the RV park south of town, apparently for most of the season. My wife would love for me to stay there
a month or so, but we aren't RV folks and the expense would be too much.

Jerry Sullivan
Jacksonville, FL :proceed:
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to K36 #489