Special Session – 5/19 thru 5/22
Session A – 5/23 thru 5/27
Session B – 5/30 thru 6/3
Session C – 6/20 thru 6/24
Session D – 6/27 thru 7/1
Session E – 7/25 thru 7/29
Session F – 8/1 thru 8/5
Session G – 9/26 thru 9/30
Session COS Work Site – 1st, 3rd & 5th Saturday of each month, January thru December
Rich Murray

Re: 2016 work session scheduled dates

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:32 pm

Rich, I plan to volunteer for the first time this summer and wondered if you usually can get the week that you request?
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Sharon, speaking as one volunteer to another, I am pretty sure you get the week(s) you want, because folks know that's when you're available to be in Chama or Antonito. It's more a question, I think, of whether you'll get your first, second or third choice of crew assignments, which you get to specify when you register. That seems to depend on factors that include your preferences, your skills, the work session's priorities and the availability of volunteers to do what needs to be done. One thing to consider doing is to get in touch with leaders of specific projects that interest you and inquire whether they need folks for their crews. Some may be full up with people who have previously worked on those crews.Others may be looking for help. The team leaders are identified in the projects list that is included in the registration material, and the Friends office can provide contact info for specific team leaders.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks Paul, the assignments that I plan to pick are ones that interest me so whether 1st or 3d makes no never mind to me. Just the chance to get out there and work with the other volunteers on this great railroad is enough for me at this point.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby John Engs » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Sharon, to clarify your session question. Yes, you will get the session you request; generally, you will also get your first project choice. Please keep in mind though that a number of things are considered when project assignments are made. Some of those are the individuals' skill set, a specific need or requirement by the TL, project location etc. and there are times when 10 people sign up for the same project when only 4 are needed. I'm glad you have decided to attend a work session; if you have other questions please contact me directly at jengs@engsventures.com, Welcome Aboard! John
John Engs
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Karl Strauss » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:55 am

Oaky, now we know the dates - the When.
When we will we know the What?
Karl Strauss
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Well, Jason's most recent Form 19 viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3317 lists some of the projects and in what session they will be done.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Karl Strauss » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:14 am

Sharon Evans wrote:Well, Jason's most recent Form 19 viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3317 lists some of the projects and in what session they will be done.

Need more What. I thought I spotted somewhere (now I cannot locate it, naturally) that the first issuance of the projects/sessions calendar grid will occur this week.
On Pins and Needles..
Karl Strauss
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Rich Murray » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Go to the friends website under volunteer and you will find the projects list.
But, to save you some time here is a direct link.
http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/images/stories/2016_WS_Forms/PS_2016_rev20160104C.pdf
Rich Murray

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:11 pm

That just appeared today and I am printing this to send in for my registration.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Mike Mahoney » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:28 am

Sharon Evans wrote:Rich, I plan to volunteer for the first time this summer and wondered if you usually can get the week that you request?

Hi Sharon,

Congratulations on taking the plunge to come to a work session :-)

I've been making this annual pilgrimage for a bit and while getting the information on the particulars for the works sessions is important, equally important is getting your "digs" squared away for your stay in Chama ...like early. Like right now is not too early if you know what session you're going to attend. I'm talking making your reservations for a hotel room. Chama is a unique place. If you've ever seen the show "Northern Exposure" Chama is a little like the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska ...kinda quirky. The business practices of many of the hoteliers will definitely leave you scratching your head. Many of the hotels close over the winter ...so when you make a call all you get is to speak with an answering machine. You might get a return phone call or an email response (if you give them your email) in a few days ...or not. And this is part of the reason to get the ball rolling early. The work sessions use up a lot of hotel space. The big unkown is whether there'll be some other event or group staying in Chama. Bikers ...both the human and internal combustion-powered ...often make "invasions" of Chama and these groups can be quite sizeable. And there are other touring groups that swing into town also. The hotels themselves are unique in thier own right. Do not expect the same level of accomodations and ammenities you'd get at a commercial chain hotel ..set your sights a bit lower, keep an open mind and just realize this is part of the "Chama Experience" and you'll be fine. Besides, you're there to work on the railroad ;-)

But overall the work sessions can be a truly a great experience. I have been attending for about 15 years and been on the same crew for about the last 10 years ...and the group of guys on the team are like an extended family you get to see once a year. So, yeah, when you get into it ...this "Coming to Chama" ...and I hope it'll be as infectious to you as it has been for me ...it's a great time you'll look forward to ...not just for "workin' on the railroad ...but to see the great folks ...the friends you meet but once a year. And did I mention the beauty of the place? Sure, doing "trains" is great ...but please take the time to explore the natural beauty ..if just a little ...of the Chama Valley and the surroundings. Bring. Your. Camera.

If you come to the "C" session I look forward to getting a chance to say "Hi".

Once again, welcome!
Mike Mahoney
I'm not so much a smart guy as a guy smart enough to know how to find out....

Support American Manufacturing and American Workers:
www.usamade.wordpress.com
www.americanmadeyes.com
Mike Mahoney
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks Mike but this will be my third time there so am well aware of what is available both commercial and B&B. Have always eaten at the Hitching Post for supper and know of the really nice little dinner across from the yards as well as avoid the Foster. Sorry will miss you since I am planning to come to session 'E'.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby John Cole » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Please be sure to come by the Gramps oil loading racks and say hi Sharon, we will not only by painting and redecking the rack, but some of our crew will be down in the swamp painting MOW gray on the two water cars.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:45 am

OK John, I am going to try and get around to all the work areas while I am there to say hi to other Friends and see what we do.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Return to PastWork Sessions / CO Springs Detachment