"Back way" to Chama from Albuquerque

Past Work Sessions on C&TSand the Colo Spgs Work Site

"Back way" to Chama from Albuquerque

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Mapquest threw me a curveball when I plugged in a trip from Albuquerque to Chama to look up the driving time, and it put me on a route that would talk me north out of Albuquerque on I-25 but have me get off I-25 at Bernalillo and take NM 44/US 550 through Cuba to NM 96 to connect to US 84 north of Abiquiu. That seemed interesting but it didn't seem to save much time or many miles from my regular route through Santa Fe and Espanola.
So I then looked at the map and saw that I could take part of that route but get off NM 96 onto NM112, going past El Vado Reservoir to get to Tierra Amarilla and US 84. It looks like some of NM 112 is gravel(?), but Mapquest said I'd save approx. 20 minutes from my regular route.
Anybody familiar with either or both of these variants and have a recommendation pro or con? I'll be driving a pickup and I don't mind some dust.
Paul
p.s. I'm driving from Albuquerque to get to "C" work session this year but I don't live in New Mexico so I don't know the lesser-used highways. I usually get to Chama via either Farmington or Santa Fe.
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Re: "Back way" to Chama from Albuquerque

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 am

update: a reader of my original post left me a voicemail saying that NM 112 is relatively unimproved in places and can make for rough going, particularly after rain, and that NM 96 is scenic but very curvy.
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sat May 10, 2014 10:52 am

If you are just looking for an alternate route; go west on 550 at Bernalillo follow that to 537 north. This will bring you out on 64 just west of Dulce (DON’T SPEED!). Go east on 64 to Chama. The ride is about a ½ hour longer. BUT no traffic and different views than you’re used to.
Rich Murray

Unread postby John Cole » Sun May 11, 2014 7:07 am

Not sure about this route as I have never taken it, but whenever you try something 'new', make sure you have plenty of gas and a vehicle that can handle rough road and the time to get lost for a while. (Well, that always seems to happen to me anyways.....:-) )

BE CAREFUL NOT to speed in the Apache Nation near Dulce! Got a speeding ticket for going 10 over in a speed trap right in the middle of nowhere.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 am

John, it's a good route(the one I posted), paved all the way. Just longer and when going from Pagosa Springs to Albuquerque a very good alternative
Rich Murray

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 am

Rich, John, Cletus,
Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that time will be a factor on this particular drive as I'll be scurrying to Chama on a Sunday afternoon after getting off a plane in Albuquerque. It sounds like the regular route through Espanola may be my best bet the year. I have gone through Farmington and Dulce before and likely will again in the future so I appreciate the warnings about not speeding near Dulce.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Return to PastWork Sessions / CO Springs Detachment