Special Session 2 - April 24 - 26, 2018

Discussion Pertaining to Special Work Sessions - 2018

Special Session 2 - April 24 - 26, 2018

Unread postby Chris James » Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

Special Session 2 focused on two projects, assembly of the Locomotive 168 cab (from pieces fashioned in Craig McMullen's Colorado Springs workshop) and the construction of shelving and the moving of nuts and bolts to the new shelves in the CRF. Participants also received a tour of Stathi Pappas's Antonito shop that is working on the restoration of 168. (Photos by Craig McMullen, Don Atkinson and Chris James).

Parts for D&RGW 168 were fashioned in Craig McMullen's Colorado Springs workshop and transported to Antonito:
cab_6.jpg

cab_6a.jpg

Craig McMullen's (and others) craftsmanship (look at that joinery!) is amazing!
craig_cab3.jpg

craig_cab4.jpg

craig_cab5.jpg

In the Quonset shop in Antonito (with blustering wind outside) the crew assembled the cab and placed the tongue-and-groove roof in place.

atk_cab1.jpg

cab_7.jpg

Front cab doors were installed and hinges added
cab_8.jpg

I was particularly impressed with the degree of historic accuracy (but why should I be surprised?) in using brass, slot-head screws on the hinges and not your typical hardware store hex-phillips head screws. As John Engs said, "Well, it has to be correct."

Note: I stand corrected. Craig McMullen tells me that these are "silicon bronze screws not brass," boat builder's hardware, which would make them a little less "historic" for 168. So OK, but they are still slot head and not Phillips or a 16d box nail, bent over, something I would probably do. cj

cab_10.jpg

cab_9.jpg

Remember the old saying, Many Hands Make Light Work? It's true!
manyhands.jpg

By about 2pm, assembly of 168's cab was just about complete.
atk_cab2.jpg

The crew then moved over to the CRF for construction of the new nut and bolt shelves:
atc_crf.jpg

Special Session 2 Crew: L-->R: Bill Stamm, Dean Myers, Craig McMullen, John Engs, Lion Beier, Don Atkinson
cab_11.jpg

Participation in Special, off-season Work Sessions is always appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by Chris James on Tue May 08, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Special Session 2 - April 24 - 26, 2018

Unread postby Robert Brigham » Mon May 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Beautiful work gentlemen! Can't wait to see it on the locomotive.
Robert Brigham
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Greg Coit » Tue May 08, 2018 8:40 am

You guys do very nice work! I hope to see it before it gets painted! :)

Greg
Greg Coit
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Wayne Hoskin » Tue May 08, 2018 4:28 pm

As a carriage and Wagon Builder down here in Australia, I have to commend the great job you fella's are doing and can appreciate the work put in.
But, just a comment, not criticism, do you fella's not have the practice of lining up the screw slots?
Looks like someones power driver might have jumped the slot on the bottom right hand screw! easy to do with brass screws.

How will the cab be finished off, paint or varnish??

Wayne from Oz
Wayne Hoskin
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to Special Work Sessions (2018)