Special Mid-Session Message

Discussion Pertaining to Work Session A - 2018

Special Mid-Session Message

Unread postby Chris James » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm

OK, now that I have your attention...

Chris James, Dispatch editor, here. By now you have all received your Spring copy of the Dispatch, the special 30th Anniversary of the Friends issue. Our 30th Anniversary doesn't end with this issue; it goes on all year long and I would like to continue the "buzz" of this special anniversary throughout the next three issues of the Dispatch and I would like that "buzz" to focus on you, the members of Friends.

In each on the next three issues, I would like to hear (and print) your stories about your experiences with the Friends over the last 30 years (or less, for that matter). These would take the form of short "vignettes" of your most interesting memories about experiences with the Friends or the railroad. These experiences might be, for example, your most rewarding experience, your most memorable, a humorous experience, a very moving experience...whatever. I think (and I bet you probably do too) that some of the time you have spent with the Friends...be it one year or thirty...has given you some of the most memorable experiences of your life. I'd like to share those with the rest of the Friends throughout 2018 in the Dispatch.

These "vignettes" from your stories would be short - around 250 words - and if you have a photo from that era, that's even better. As an example, here's something I wrote up (which I may or may not use) but gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

joining_friends.jpg

Your story doesn't have to be "How I Joined the Friends" but perhaps a restoration project that you found rewarding, or an experience you had that has stayed with you. Perhaps it's where you met your wife (Don Stewart...) or that wasps' nest next you encountered while restoring a reefer (Michael Kennedy...). Whatever.

As we look back at our last 30 years, there is probably something that is important to you, and the Friends, that deserves sharing. Part of this project is to reflect on the impact of the Friends to us all of us, as well as the railroad. The other part is to perhaps entice Friends members who haven't made the journey to the wonderful experiences that await them in Chama and Antonito to sign up for a Restoration Work Session and pay us a visit. If your stories are part of that enticement, then we are all better off!

If you have something you would like to share (and I bet you do), either send me a Private Message through the Forum or write me directly at cjames.nm@gmail.com. I'd love to hear from you.

(Oh, and if you say "I can't write," well, submit something anyway and I will do my best to turn it into something worthy of a Pullet Surprise.)

Thanks for listening!

[We now return to Session A, currently in progress.]
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Special Mid-Session Message

Unread postby Jonathan Cordova » Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm

lol i sent mine to u Chris
im a friends member and d&s is mostly where my heart is