Look at the new color.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Rebecca Falk
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: Movi color of the RPO

Unread postby Pete Dahlberg » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:31 pm

It looks good - just hope it comes out on film the way the movie company wants.

Looking at the pictures under the 7/28 webcams, the RPO actually appears darker than I remembered the former color. I had heard that the former color would show up as black on film. I wonder what this will look like?
Pete Dahlberg
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Here's a comparison - and the new color is definitely a couple shades darker. 1st is Larry Gibson's capture from earlier today, and then one from a cam video of mine from back in early June - about the same time of day so lighting is similar.

bandicam 2016-07-28 23-29-53-623.jpg
bandicam 2016-07-28 23-29-53-623.jpg (125.99 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
bandicam 2016-07-28 23-30-46-732.jpg
bandicam 2016-07-28 23-30-46-732.jpg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Larry Gibson » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Good work by the painting crew! Hope they all enjoyed the project and stayed in good Hue-mor as the work progressed!
:lol: Hopefully the paint will keep the elements at bay for a long time to come.
Larry Gibson- "WYE I might HARP at you? It is only to SPUR you on!!!!!"
Larry Gibson
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Robert Brigham » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Are they planning to keep this color/paint job after the movie, or repaint back to the original?
Robert Brigham
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 am

Robert Brigham wrote:Are they planning to keep this color/paint job after the movie, or repaint back to the original?

Robert I have no first hand info on it, but it has been posted before. (and I don't remember if that was on this forum or elsewhere), that the plan is to repaint in the original color, and that the movie company was paying for that too.
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Robert Brigham » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Larry,
Thanks for responding. I have the same memory too, but I couldn't find a reference to it. Anyway, I kind of like the present color.
Robert Brigham
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby John Cole » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:26 pm

No one here in Chama who has seen the car likes the color. I hope they paint it back soon!
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rebecca Falk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:43 am

You didn't ask me if I liked the color, John.

'No one here in Chama who has seen the car likes the color. I hope they paint it back soon!'
John Cole
Rebecca Falk
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Pete Dahlberg » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:57 am

Larry Sullivan wrote:
Robert Brigham wrote:Are they planning to keep this color/paint job after the movie, or repaint back to the original?

Robert I have no first hand info on it, but it has been posted before. (and I don't remember if that was on this forum or elsewhere), that the plan is to repaint in the original color, and that the movie company was paying for that too.

During session D the paint crew mentioned to me that the RPO would be repainted at the movie company's expense once the shoot was done. Given the timing of the shoot, I'd almost expect that the current color will remain until one of the sessions next year.
Pete Dahlberg
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby John Cole » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Rebecca Falk wrote:You didn't ask me if I liked the color, John.

'No one here in Chama who has seen the car likes the color. I hope they paint it back soon!'
John Cole

I was talking to John Engs and Brad and neither of us liked it better than the green that Don Bayer painted it originally.

Sorry Becky, do you think it is gray or green then? :?:
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Pete Dahlberg wrote:
Larry Sullivan wrote:

During session D the paint crew mentioned to me that the RPO would be repainted at the movie company's expense once the shoot was done. Given the timing of the shoot, I'd almost expect that the current color will remain until one of the sessions next year.

You have to be correct Pete, since the shoot isn't until the middle of August and no Chama work sessions until next June.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Pete Dahlberg wrote:
Larry Sullivan wrote:

You have to be correct Pete, since the shoot isn't until the middle of August and no Chama work sessions until next June. This would be the colour and whatever decals that are applied.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Pete Dahlberg » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:36 pm

John Cole wrote:
Rebecca Falk wrote:You didn't ask me if I liked the color, John.

John Cole

I was talking to John Engs and Brad and neither of us liked it better than the green that Don Bayer painted it originally.

Sorry Becky, do you think it is gray or green then? :?:

Both are a shade of green. The original is more olive while the current is a blue tint. Wikipedia has an interesting article on Green with a number of samples. From the samples, it appears that the original is more of an "Army green" while the current is more of a "Brunswick green". A note under Brunswick green is that there were 3 different shades of Brunswick green used by the British RR and the Brunswick Green used by the PRR was a different shade. Another note indicated that because these colors were formulated using copper, over time they would darken to almost black.
Pete Dahlberg
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Bill Runyon » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:52 pm

First off, great thanks to all those Friends participating in the Work Sessions.........your commitment to preserving this wonderful treasure is so greatly appreciated. Secondly, for those working on the RPO I hope this photograph of parlor car Alamosa taken in Silverton, 1953, helps with the color.
Attachments
9873000-R1-E003.jpg
Bill Runyon
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Rebecca Falk » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 am

Cool picture Bill.
Rebecca Falk
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to Work Session E (July 25-29)