The C&T as told by a stamp collector

Discussions regarding the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

The C&T as told by a stamp collector

Unread postby James Weigant » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello all,

My name is James and I am from Oklahoma. This is my first post as a new Friend of the Cumbres & Toltec so please bear with me as I start to negotiate this forum.

Stamp collecting is a huge part of my life. Not so much the stamps themselves, but their use on mail that can be a window to the past. By studying the mail that was sent from a place, you can travel back to that place in time. Back to the time when a penny postcard or a two cent letter was the quickest and cheapest way to stay in touch. At tangible thing that you can hold in your hand and feel that connection to a long ago place.

As the attached story tells, my wife's family owns a cabin in the valley just east of the Toltec Gorge. It is a timeless wonderland that 4 generations have enjoyed.

In 2015 we took a family vacation to the cabin and on our way out we took a trip on the C&T. Despite my wife's family owning the cabin since the '50s, it was her first time as well as mine. We were enraptured by the line. It was again that tangible thing that you can experience and feel a connection to a long ago place.

When a docent mentioned that Osier once had a post office, the philatelist in me was on it like a dog on a steak. I had to research and figure out how the mail interacted with the Cumbres and Toltec.

In 2016 I had my first short article published (attached) that was a good start at telling the story of the C&T through stamp related materials. Next month I will exhibit for the first time my exhibit "A Philatelic Trip on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad" at AmeriStamp Expo in Birmingham, AL. Once that exhibit is shown, I will add a .pdf of it to this forum.

I honestly describe myself as a philatelist first. I pick little areas like the C&T and go crazy with it. It is nice to have a place to share my crazy with others that might understand.

All the best,

James Weigant
Bartlesville, OK
Attachments
Cumbres & Toltec Story.pdf
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 538 times
Last edited by James Weigant on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Weigant
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: The C&T as told by a stamp collector

Unread postby Jonathan Cordova » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 pm

nice job
im a friends member and d&s is mostly where my heart is
Jonathan Cordova
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your article. It is interesting to learn about the work camps, ranches and railroad facilities that used to be located along the railroad"s route, particularly in the hard-to-reach areas such as in Toltec Gorge. I volunteers on the Friemds' sign maintenance and tree/brush crews and I've enjoyed looking down on the cabins on the floor of the gorge during our lunch breaks. Great scenery from any perspective.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jason Rose » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:25 am

Great story, James. Welcome to the Friends Forum.

It's pretty neat getting the perspective of a local land owner. What a cool experience it must be to have a cabin down in the gorge. I have to believe it's peaceful down there.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby James Weigant » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you everyone for the welcome and kind words. The work crews sound right up my alley, instant gratification of a hard days work for a great cause. Hopefully I can make it to one someday.

The cabin is incredibly peaceful. After you get over the rough roads down into the canyon, and through the locked gates, the only other humans you see up there all week are the folks on the train. Takes a lot of planning to make sure you have enough adult beverages and supplies for your stay, no running to the corner market. We are already planning for next summer. I think my boys will be big enough to make the trek to Mud Tunnel.

Attached is a photo I took of Toltec Gorge from just west of the cabin. It is the wallpaper on my phone. Such a magical, timeless place up there. God's country.
Attachments
IMG_0241.JPG
James Weigant
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Craig Kumler » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

Hi James:

Our news letter editor might like your story for publication in the Dispatch: You might want to contact him at: cjames.nm@gmail.com
Thanks for a great story! Best Regards, Craig
Craig Kumler
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby James Weigant » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you! I will drop him a line.
James Weigant
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad