Early C&TS Photo Post Cards

Discussions regarding the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Early C&TS Photo Post Cards

Unread postby Larry Gibson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Going through some old post cards today and came across these purchased at a store on Terrace Ave in Chama showing early operations on the C&TS. Captions give location and dates. No photographer credit.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry Gibson- "WYE I might HARP at you? It is only to SPUR you on!!!!!"
Larry Gibson
Conductor
Conductor

Re: Early C&TS Photo Post Cards

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm

Hope you keep finding more of these old gems Larry. There is an old railroader in here the Richmond area who rode the C&TS back in that time frame and he told me about the plastic chairs nailed to the floor of the cars.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Larry Gibson » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Sharon Evans wrote:Hope you keep finding more of these old gems Larry. There is an old railroader in here the Richmond area who rode the C&TS back in that time frame and he told me about the plastic chairs nailed to the floor of the cars.

Like old high school plastic cafeteria/library chairs to me!! When in Chama wander down in the south yard and you'll find a few of the old boxcar coaches and you can see them. These cars had "character" would love to take a ride in one of them again. Plexiglass windows that dropped down. Almost the open gon experience! Today's riders probably wouldn't care for them.....character!!!
Larry Gibson
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jason Rose » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 am

My grandparents rode the C&T some time in the 80's, about 30 years before I first laid eyes on Chama. My grandmother HATED the rider-boxcars. She wasn't a person that complained about much of anything, so it really stuck in my mind how much she didn't enjoy the trip. She did mention the incredible scenery, though. My grandfather was a bit nonchalant about the experience.

When Michele and I took our first trip, it was aboard the Parlour Car and the experience was... somewhat different. However, we have ridden in the rider-boxcars on 2 occasions and I understand my grandmothers feelings. It's certainly a more... authentic experience. Sort of like being a hobo, but with a plastic chair that is bolted to the floor.

The Friends have converted a few these back to their original configuration as boxcars. But, I'd like to see a few rider-boxcars preserved as they are. After all, they're a special part of the C&T's history.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Larry Gibson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:53 pm

I wonder if it was more of the track and roadbed conditions that caused the rough ride back then as much as the boxcars. The track improvements of the last several years has reduced the lurch/swaying of days of yore. These photos were posted on the RR's FB page a while back. School children on a field trip were "treated" to a trip in them. A string of these cars can be found in the south yard at Chama for closer inspection. Larry
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (144.91 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (167.82 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Larry Gibson
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad