An "Ideas" Thread?

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

An "Ideas" Thread?

Unread postby Chris James » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:59 am

Jason or whomever is currently moderating the Forum: If you don't think this is a good idea feel free to delete this thread.
----
I'm suggesting (and starting?) a thread for "Interesting Ideas" for the Friends. I'm thinking of it as an open forum of "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the Friends did __________" ideas that could be forwarded, shared, discussed, tossed out, argued over (no flaming, please), implemented....whatever. We all have ideas for Friends or for the CS&T that we think would just be absolutely incredible for the whole operation. I usually get mine either standing in the shower or lying away at 2am. So...

Why not post your ideas here? My first idea is an "Ideas" thread. My second idea is below:
Last edited by Chris James on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

The Recruitment Video: An Idea

Unread postby Chris James » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:24 am

I just watched the Friends "recruitment" video on the introduction to the Chama Cam page. First of all my compliments to whomever put that together. As a former video producer and teacher, that was some fine work, well composed, nicely edited and (best of all) you used a tripod! You get an A for your final project (Final Exam is next week...)

Now, an idea: As I was watching that I was asking myself, "Self, where in this video are the volunteers themselves and what sort of stuff do they actually DO? Yes, I know what they do because I've been there. But for the viewer it might be: "OK, I've read about "projects" in the titles but what sort of work is really done? And can I really do it? I'm a teenager/tool klutz/woman/70 y-o/guy who just likes trains. Can I do this sort of work? And what are the other volunteers like? Will I fit in?" They were great CS&T shots but I would love to see those alternated with equally great video segments of Friends volunteers - all ages, all genders, all sorts of different projects - working in Chama and Antonito. And of course they are all having a great time with lots of smiles, paint brushes, tools, hard work, fun work, different work, lunch and camaraderie. And trains.

I'm not sure who put the video together (was that Roger? Jason?) but I think as a recruitment tool it would be more effective if it showed was the Friends actually DO during the work sessions. I know that before my first Work Session I had no idea what to expect. Showing this would be a good nudge toward volunteering for the next generation.

My 2/1000's of a dollar.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Re: An "Ideas" Thread?

Unread postby Tim Tennant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. Jason assembled the video and I believe he did an excellent job. Yes, there are some "tweaks" to make but I thought out of the box the video of C&TS trains along the railroad is what will really stir the passion! That's a huge reason our volunteers keep coming back. We will work to place some work sessions shots into the presentation along the line. Now as far as ideas in general I think this is great. The one thing I will say however is that when people come up with ideas then they should be ready to help with that suggestion if possible. In over close to 9 years I have heard a lot of "someome oughta" do that. The someone seems to be a person other than the one making a suggestion. I do appreciate this concept Chris.
Tim Tennant
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jason Rose » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Chris, the ONLY reason there aren't shots of the Friends at work is because I don't have any. I simply used footage I've shot over the years.

I couldn't agree more with you and I'll fix that next summer. I'll be there for at least 1 session, maybe 2, and I'll get LOTS of footage to do a new video.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby John Cole » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Hey guys, Terry Shaw has put together a slide show on a DVD that we are going to show for the next couple of days at the Narrow Gauge convention as well as the video that Jason did combining it with the Luke Fitch helecopter drone footage. Luke said when he returns to the railroad for fall colors, he is going to take footage of structures as well for us.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Re: The Recruitment Video: An Idea

Unread postby Chris James » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks Tim, Jason and John. I hope I wasn't coming across as demanding or condescending. If so, I apologize. Again, simply an "idea." I stopped doing video when I retired from teaching the stuff a couple years back. But I'm tempted to pick up a camera for one of the work sessions next year (this year was out because I just had back surgery and I ain't too mobile)...maybe come up for two sessions: Work one, shoot one.

But thanks for listening and I appreciate the replies.
Chris James
Editor, C&TS Dispatch
Albuquerque, NM
Chris James
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jason Rose » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 am

Chris, please take your camera next summer. If you're willing to share your footage, I'm sure I can put it to good use. This is a team-effort.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby John Cole » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Chris, when we were at the narrow gauge convention Teri showed a DVD with over 650 photos of Friends work done for the railroad over the years. We had many people stand and watch for several minutes taking in what we do. Working train shows as well as all the great work session photos posted by Ted and Linda each summer goes a long way to get the word out about the Friends. Please encourage your friends to check us out on the internet, and ask them to join.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec