Weather

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

Weather

Unread postby David Rutter » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 am

Accuweather said 22 below zero this morning in the Chama yard!!! Now having the rolling stock and engine sit outside seems REALLY a bad idea...
David Rutter
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: Weather

Unread postby Greg Raven » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:04 am

I wonder what difference it makes how low it goes when the temperature is below freezing?

It seems like the real problem would be number of cycles of freezing and thawing.
Maybe it would be best to keep the place in a deep freeze for as long as possible for preservation purposes.
Also minimal precipitation, but that is in opposition to the goal of having a good snowpack and low danger fire season.

Regards,
Greg
Greg Raven
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 am

;-) I have an unscientific and inexperienced opinion about the freeze thaw cycle and it's effect on the former D&RGW rolling stock. Seems like after 100 or so years the verdict is in. The equipment can handle it with minimal effect.
Rich Murray

Unread postby Greg Raven » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 am

Rich Murray wrote:;-) I have an unscientific and inexperienced opinion about the freeze thaw cycle and it's effect on the former D&RGW rolling stock. Seems like after 100 or so years the verdict is in. The equipment can handle it with minimal effect.

Hmmmm. Stuff not restored by the Friends is in pretty bad condition from what I have observed. Antonito might be better for long-term storage.
Wood does best in a dry climate.

Greg
Greg Raven
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby John Cole » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 pm

But Greg, there is no way the Antonito yard can handle any more stuff, so with the roundhouse/museum/worksession building plan going forward, perhaps the Friends can build car storage buildings down on our property by the cattle pens in Chama.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 am

John Cole wrote:But Greg, there is no way the Antonito yard can handle any more stuff, so with the roundhouse/museum/worksession building plan going forward, perhaps the Friends can build car storage buildings down on our property by the cattle pens in Chama.

OR........ build a cover that from a distance looks like the old sheep shearing/dipping facility where that had once stood.
Rich Murray

Return to General Discussion