My First C&TSRR Experience

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

My First C&TSRR Experience

Unread postby Tom Smith » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Growing up in SE New Mexico, I guess it was just a natural progression that my parents would take my sister and I on a summer vacation that ended up in Chama to ride some steam train. I have absolutely no idea what the year was, but based on the pictures, it had to be late 1970's or early 1980's. Honestly, there are only two things I can clearly remember. The first is that prior to arrival, I had a sense of dread. After all, I was in my early to mid teens and had absolutely no interest in dealing with some old noisy, antique, uncomfortable, smoke filled relic. The second thing I remember is that from the very first sight of that big locomotive, I was hooked. And with every whistle, every chuff, the continuous smell of the coal smoke, and yes, even the occasional cinder getting in my eyes, the hook was driven even deeper. I have had a deep rooted love of steam ever since, which has included multiple trips back to Chama (the most recent back in 2013), a couple of trips to Durango back in the day, and now more recently in my area, a trip to Cass in WV, and here in town I was able to participate in a day long Fire Up event where they brought the N&W Class J 611 from cold to hot and they even let us participants ride a few feet down the rails in the cab once she was ready. And to think, for me, it all started in Chama, NM. So after reading all of this, I am assuming one might be wondering what this has to do with anything and why I would be writing up this back story. Well, as it so happens, last year, my mom was going through a bunch of Dad's pictures that he had taken years ago. Of course, they were all well before anything digital. They were 35MM that he had developed into slides. While going through the 100's and 100's of pictures, she found some of that trip to Chama, which she had professionally transferred to digital. There are a couple of 484, and couple showing Osier, and several showing what the passenger cars were back in those days. So, here are those pictures for everyone to enjoy, and if anyone has any ideas on the year, I would be most interested in knowing for sure.
Attachments
CTSR1.jpg
CTSR1.jpg (522.3 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR2.jpg
CTSR2.jpg (586.04 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR3.jpg
Los Pinos Tank
CTSR3.jpg (534.35 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR4.jpg
Inside of rider car 202
CTSR4.jpg (435.2 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR5.jpg
My sister and I in rider car 202. Must be at Osier since I don't know of anywhere else Dad would have jumped off to take a picture.
CTSR5.jpg (199.95 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR6.jpg
CTSR6.jpg (470.32 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR8.jpg
Going over Cascade Trestle
CTSR8.jpg (630.18 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
CTSR7.jpg
We are leaving Osier headed for Chama while looking back at the training heading for Antonito.
CTSR7.jpg (418.04 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
Last edited by Tom Smith on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D Smith
Mercer, MO
Tom Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Re: My First C&TSRR Experience

Unread postby Pat Maufrais » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:53 am

Enjoyed the images and commentary!
Pat
Pat Maufrais
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Jason Rose » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks, Tom. Love the photos.

I was privileged to ride in one those "rider box cars" a few years ago on a charter. They sure have character... but the new coaches are a bit more comfortable for the female members of the family. Especially when it's 28 degrees...
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Tom Smith » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I am glad you both enjoyed pictures. I have some much newer pics and video I took when we were there in 2013 that I will try to get uploaded when I have some spare time.
Tom D Smith
Mercer, MO
Tom Smith
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Return to General Discussion