A quick intro and a few photos

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

A quick intro and a few photos

Unread postby Richard Kowalski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Hello all,

My wife and I visited Colorado together for the first time this past August on our way to watch the solar eclipse in Wyoming. We stayed two nights in Chama at the Chama Station Inn. We rode the train to Osier and back one day, and chased trains the rest of our time there. While I've had a long affinity for steam, this was my first exposure to narrow gauge. WOW! I instantly fell in love, and I fell hard! My work schedule in Tucson makes it difficult for me to get away, but ever since we were there we have been discussing coming back as soon as we can. I'm envious of you who live in the area!

Attached are a handful of the images I made during our visit. We were lucky enough to visit while student trains were running, which made chasing those trains even more enjoyable. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I did making them.

Richard Kowalski
Tucson, AZ.
Attachments
IMG_4430.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg
IMG_4900.jpg
IMG_4907a.jpg
K-36 489 at Osier IMG_4613.jpg
K-36 489 Chama IMG_4822a.jpg
487 Cumbres Pass Carlos Llama IMG_4941.jpg
Cumbres and Toltect 487 Cumbres Pass IMG_4951.jpg
Cumbres and Toltec 487 IMG_4845.jpg
Richard Kowalski
Tucson, Arizona
Richard Kowalski
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: A quick intro and a few photos

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Nice selection. I particularly liked the second photo, the first black and white one, which appears to be looking east as the train approaches the Dalton crossing. I don't recall seeing that angle before.
BTW, the private property owner at that location has a sign that seemingly indicates photographers shouldn't step off the road ROW. I've heard comments to the effect that the sign is an overreach but I don't know specifics of the access constraints there. Regardless, it seems worth mentioning to somebody visiting the area for the first time.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Richard Kowalski » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks Paul. Keeping off of private property, particularly when the owner is less than tolerant, is always a good idea. The image you referenced was taken from the gondola near the rear of the train.

Cheers
Richard Kowalski
Tucson, Arizona
Richard Kowalski
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Jason Rose » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am

Great photos, Richard.

I think many here will share your situation (affliction?). Our first trip was in 2006 and we visited Chama at the end of a 10 day trek around Colorado visiting the various railroads. Like you, I've always loved railroads (steam in particular), and I was smitten with Colorado long before we arrived in Chama. But, walking into Chama Yard that first time was/is indescribable. It was one of those rare moments in your life when you KNOW things are changing... a fundamental shift... and that life in the future will be far different than you intended.

I put up a website to document our travels and explorations: RioGrandeExplorations.net

Chama truly is a special place.

*That road at Dalton is a county road. The "no trespassing" signs are un-enforacable nonsense. You should have no problem driving to the grade crossing. I've done it lots of time and so have many friends. No one has ever had an issue that I know of. Now, if you cross a fence line, that'll be a different story.

Shot at Dalton in 2011
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Nice shots Rich. The property line is that fence at Dalton, just don't go past it. Like Jason, I shot that crossing all the time when there and find it a nice location. The drive up to Osier also affords a number of locations off the beaten tourist track which you could try on a return visit. This summer I am trying the road past Apache crossing so I can shoot the train as it comes up the Los Pinos valley from Osier.
5 463 comes around the curve blowing for the Forest Service road down to the valley of the Los Pinos.jpg
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Return to General Discussion