New Guy

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

New Guy

Unread postby Dustin Day » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. I'm very happy to have joined the friends group, it has been a great resource, there's a real wealth of information and some darn knowledgeable people in this group! Things are official now, I have (somewhat) planned my trip. I'll be making the 2,000 mile trek to Chama for the first time in mid-August of this year. I cannot wait to take a ride of the C&TS and check out the cool railroading and history Colorado/New Mexico have to offer. I am looking forward to a great experience, does anyone have some input for me or suggestions on what I should do while I'm there? Perhaps any good train watching or photography locations? Thanks a bunch!

Dustin Day

:herald:
Dustin Day
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: New Guy

Unread postby Doug Frederick » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Dustin, Welcome!

I was a rider here for 8 years, before I moved here permanently to volunteer 3 years back. Originally from Western Mass. Let us know when your visit gets a little closer. How many days will you be here, and where will you be staying, Chama (recommended), or Antonito? There's tons of "railroadia" here, but also nearby. You should certainly plan on visiting your fellow Friends activities on both ends of the railroad!

Doug
"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves..."

https://picasaweb.google.com/110183472086414135127
Doug Frederick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Welcome.
My favorite activity when arriving in Chama for a work session, usually after dark after a daylong drive, is to rise early and walk around the yard and take some soft-light photos of equipment, structures and rolling stock. Keep an eye out for car repair and reconstruction projects in progress. The Friends members doing that work usually are happy to explain it if you swing by later during the day M-F.
At th end of the day, depending on when in the summer you're in Chama, there can be a lot of sunlight in the early evening and it's a good time for a short hike up near Cumbres or to explore some of the area. The scenery in the valley west of Dalton (up Highway 17 from Chama and before the second RR crossing) is gorgeous, but the land on both sides of the Forest Service road is private at the beginning so stay on the road itself until you enter the National Forest.
If you have time, it's worthwhile to drive west out of Chama to take in what's left of the abandoned ROW to Durango. Once you get off the pavement, driving on dirt sections of the roads on the reservations can be dicey during and after rain.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jason Rose » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:07 am

Hey Dustin, welcome aboard.

I've found the best way to start the day is sitting on the balcony of The Hotel (TheHotel.org) with a coffee and muffin from "the mall" next door. I highly recommend staying at The Hotel. Roger and Barbara are first class!

*The Vista Del Rio (south end of town) is also very nice. Very quiet at night, too.

After breakfast, the best show of the morning is watching the hostlers service the locomotive(s) near the Engine House. There aren't many places left in the world where you can see this with authentic equipment on it's native railroad... just as it was done half a century ago.

As you'll see, it's very easy to chase the train from Chama to Los Pinos Valley. Even if you're new to the area, you can't help but get great photos along that stretch. Just be careful not to cross any fences. Stay on the road, except for Cumbres.

If you have the time, the drive out to Sublette is great. I spent most of the day there once and caught both trains. Very peaceful out there. Roger/Barbara at The Hotel can give you directions.

Cumbres is always a great place to hang out as well. There's a surprising amount of stuff see and explore. And, it's easier to find than Sublette.

No matter what you decide to do, you'll likely have a great time. Please post some photos.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Pete Dahlberg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:01 am

Dustin welcome aboard
Another item to look into long term are the Fireman and Engineer schools offered by the RR. I can attest that the schools are an absolute blast. Unfortunately, all schools for this year are sold out except for the Advanced school in September. There will be a class Aug 13 - 16 which will mean extra trains running that week.

I agree what everyone has previously posted. However if you are going to attempt the trip to Sublette, be prepared for about 20 miles of dirt roads and don't attempt the last 100 yards down to Sublette unless you have a high clearance vehicle (4wd is recommended).
Pete Dahlberg
Engineer
Engineer

Return to General Discussion