Boxcar 3016 question

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

Boxcar 3016 question

Unread postby Casey Akin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:38 pm

During our visit in June of last year, box car 3016 was being disassembled for restoration. My question is: Does anyone know when the last time this car was restored (wood and all)? Have the friends done it before, or is it possibly still from the 1924 D&RGW rebuild?

Casey Akin
Casey Akin
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: Boxcar 3016 question

Unread postby John Cole » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Casey, I just talked to Don Bayer (team leader) on the boxcar, and Don says as far as he can tell the wood they are replacing is from the 1924 rebuild. So they got 90 years out of the last rebuild, lets hope they get another 90 or so from this one. Don says they are putting a new roof on the car in session C, and should be finished with the car by the end of E session.

Don is overseeing the RPO rebuild going on in Antonito btw, so they have a resident RPO expert in da house. :smiley24:
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Craig Kumler » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks John for the update and great news that Mr. Bayer is helping out with RPO rebuild! He is the man!!
Craig Kumler
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Casey Akin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

Mr. Cole,

Thank you very much for the response and research. We were given a piece of wood from 3016, when we visited last year, that was destined for the trash. We have recently planed the back side for use on a special gift to a friend. It is amazing how clean and solid most of this board is still. I had assumed it was from the 24 rebuild, but was not sure.

Casey Akin
Casey Akin
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to General Discussion