New member... 10/5/15 video

Discussions regarding the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec and the History of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western

New member... 10/5/15 video

Unread postby Darryl VanNort » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Greetings all!
I had never been to the C&TS in all my years of being a rail fan. This past October 2nd, I rode in tourist class with my buddy, John Howell, from Antonito to Chama and was blown away. On the 4th we rode it from Chama to Antonito, and was further blown away by the inclusion to the Friends as a result of that trip. We departed Chama on the 5th, but took some time to shoot some photos and video as we trundled along to our next destination.

October 5th was a bit grey and rainy, but I did some hand held video shots along with some stills (stills were at Los Pinos). This is not the best video, but it prompted me to go out and buy a new video rig for my next trip out there, hopefully in 2016. I was also fighting with new editing software (I bought a book since... gak, I'm going to read the instructions!)

If you watch this, do NOT turn up your audio during the slide show segment, the gain is damped down on purpose.

Looking forward to learning the 2016 schedule so I can get things locked in on my travel calendar!

Highball!
...D
:proceed:
...Darryl
Darryl VanNort
Brakeman
Brakeman

Re: New member... 10/5/15 video

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome to the site Darryl, glad to have you join us!

Very nicely done, well worth the 36 minutes or so in time. You did pretty good with the editing, it does take a bit of trial and error to get most of the software to work as you want it. Look forward to your next trip and video! Thanks very much for sharing it with us.
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Rich Murray » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:45 am

Darryl, Welcome! And thank you for your video. With the off season on us it's good to have videos to keep our fires burning.
Rich Murray

Unread postby Jason Rose » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:58 am

Welcome aboard, Darryl. Sounds like your first visit to the C&T is like many of ours. I have the same feelings every time I arrive in Chama. It's truly a magical place.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby Darryl VanNort » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:17 am

Larry Sullivan wrote:Welcome to the site Darryl, glad to have you join us!

Very nicely done, well worth the 36 minutes or so in time. You did pretty good with the editing, it does take a bit of trial and error to get most of the software to work as you want it. Look forward to your next trip and video! Thanks very much for sharing it with us.

Thank you! Thanks for taking the time to watch. I got to the point when editing and the clock struck 05:00 that it was just time to call it and go to bed. :-) I'm not a little guy and the video camera that I shot that with is too small for me to handle and control comfortably. The stills in that weren't taken with the intention of including them in the video, but they kind of fit... and all of the stills were hand held (obvious by the shift in rail elevation on adjacent shots).

Initial terminal test complete...
...Darryl
Darryl VanNort
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Darryl VanNort » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:21 am

IF you want to see other still shots that I took on my recent trips, I post to FLICKR. If you have a yahoo ID, you can sign onto http://flickr.com with that ID and find me as "darrylvannort" and you'll be able to see the images that I made public. I also post frequently to facebook. Just in case you need something to lull you to sleep in these winter months. :-)
...Darryl
Darryl VanNort
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby John Hamman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:15 am

Hey Darryl,
Looking forward to hearing from you and following you posts.
John
John Hamman
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Mark Sigmon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:24 am

Welcome and nice video. I did have to turn up the volume some cause I can't resist the sound of that hard working locomotive.
Mark Sigmon
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Darryl VanNort » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks, Mark. It's that whistle blast after the slide show that can be a "wake-up call" ... scared my buddy's cats half to death!
...Darryl
Darryl VanNort
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to General Discussion